I can Steal your Edge, I am serious

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Guile_yes, Aug 5, 2006.

1. there aint no secrets imo... it's almost impossible to completely give away a strategy to strangers [trough an internet board by the way, since u brought up 'secrets'] cuz if it works it also usually relies on an array of variables, nevermind the willingness to listen and a basic inner trust in what others are sayin' on the part of the recipient. also the fact the all personalities are different and cannot easily adapt to somethin' that usually differs from their style--money management, risk, etc.--makes disclosin' your strategies of very little risk of dilution for your edge...if it is taught directly in its full complexity and mentored face to face, then it is another matter, but ain't gonna happen here innit.

#21     Aug 5, 2006
  2. Neodude

Neodude

Judging from the initial poster's excellent command of the English language and mature attitude, I'd say that he is about 15-16 years old. He's read a couple of books on hacking and runs linux on an old dell his parents bought him on his 13th birthday.

Why do people even bother replying to such childish threads? I sincerely hope a mod comes along and closes this useless thread, because it has nothing to do with trading as a career.

-Neo

PS. If he is such a good hacker he should know that the form of hacking he was talking about is known as "Van Eck Phreaking".

#22     Aug 5, 2006
  3. hmm...u know what...this girlpants could be the freak that did spread the trojan on those links in the 'is it a photoshop or not ' thread, u remember that shit? could be since it was an info retriever that trojan.

#23     Aug 5, 2006
  4. Your systems are all mine!

BWAAAHHHAAHHAAAA!

[​IMG]

#24     Aug 5, 2006
  5. Hahahah, these threads are always so interesting (not).

You've got one guy who wants to pay successfull traders 20% of the take so that he can piggy back their strategies (and probably steal it, or rip-them-off in some other way), (that would be Sammy Soreass), and now you have a freak who claims that he can steal other traders systems through a WIFI connection ... :eek: :confused: ????

Come on people PROFITABLE TRADING CAN NOT BE THAT HARD!

Damn, it's beginnign to really look like Loser Traders instead of Elite Traders!

:(

Later,

JJ

#25     Aug 5, 2006
  6. Holmes

Holmes

When I was a lot younger and video beta came out there was an article in an electronics magazine on how to pick up the impulses used for synchronisizing the horizontal and vertical deflection on the B&W TV and the intensity.

It was great fun to eavesdrop on neighbours to see if they were watching some x-rated movie (which was why a number of people were early adopters of video tape). (some hilarious things happened during this time too - there was a couple in Rome who decided to tape themselves....When the next day they came out of their appertments some neighbours giggled: there had been an error with the installation with the result that it was broadcast through the local cable system. They moved from the area in a hurry)

Some people were convicted of eavesdropping / wiretapping (which is illegal), others were not. The whole difference was that those who were convicted were using a directional antenna, those who were not convicted were not using a directional antenna. The reason behind this was that if you walk down the street and you find money then you are not stealing, yet when you bump into someone and make them drop their wallet (on purpose) and then pick it up, then you are.

Ofcourse without a directional antenna you got so much interference that a clear signal was almost an impossibility :(

I have not kept up with this technology but I do know that the military at least at one stage were using a faraday shield around their terminals / computers. Same as embassies around the world: their "communication room" has a faraday shield around it.

So it is not as off-beat as many may think.

I have been involved in other areas of security and it is defintely something I am taking into account. Hence I have spend about 5 years on designing a discretionary system which is very hard to reverse engineer and which jumps timeframes all the time and uses a multitude of entries / exits. My rating of this system is that it is pretty difficult to "brute force" the strategy.

In addition I play games with a number of brokers so that not a single broker gets a clear insight into my trading. (Lessons learned from Livermore)

When you have been using a simulator at a broker then by the time you arrive at your profitable system most of the damage has already been done . (you start off with one system, one timeframe and then start adding on to it so there comes a track record. Often the first systems are relatively simple which are easy to "brute force" and then they are able to "tag along").

With a professional background in detecting patterns using artificial intelligence I consider that it is possible to "brute force" 98% of the strategies out there. (particularly when I read in recent days about a poster claiming to have run a million or so backtests in the past few years and that he knows of others using 5000 CPU's to run backtests. Don't know if to believe or not but it is certainly within the possibilities)

But like in any equlibrium: the more the strategies get the same the easier it will be to make money when you have something that falls outside the "main stream". However in order to get to the latter you have to think outside the normal stuff and one thing I perceive is that the younger generations seems to be less and less able to think for themselves.
    (This is further supported by studies that have not shown a dramatic increase in the succesrate of traders in spite of better education and better access to technology)

The downside of the equilibrium is that once it gets disturbed then mayhem will follow.

Which brings me to the collapse of the volatility starting with the Iraq war. Now volatility is increasing and some who have been making good money in past few years may find that the going is increasingly becoming tougher. I for one had intitially issues with the "spoofers" (or "flippers") but these days I take advantage of them and they are a great help getting out of a position (and letting them hold the bucket, thank you).

Holmes

#26     Aug 5, 2006
  7. pattern nut

pattern nut Guest

I’ve been reading this thread carefully and I don’t quite know what to make of it.

But I do know that he mentioned comp monitors not WiFi signals.

Jimmy jam you should read entire thread not just l;ast post

#27     Aug 5, 2006
  8. Oh Jesus;

Seems to me that EVERY weekend we get these folks who seem to be on some kind of meds. They have a new flash for us.

I can rule the friggin world.

I am going to give you the "tip" of a lifetime (you can thank me later)

and of course the classic

"I have FOUND the holy grail"

HELP ME Oprah cause Jesus aint listening!!

Now we have this mental midget who says "I can steal your edge" Too much comedy to take in all at once I fear.

So lets reveiw. This guy believes that some of you have an edge. That good for a laugh right there.

Then he mentions HOW he is going to "steal" YOUR edge. OK lets leave that for another post.

Finally he says "I am serious" No kidding?

Well Okay then homeboy, come and get it. I mean it.. I live in Santa Barbara CA on a hill overlooking the ocean. You probably live in a "supervised" facility, but thats YOUR problem. I am inviting you come and get me sucker. Find me, steal my edge, and come back here to report your triumph to the good folks here at ET..You friggin idiot.

There now I feel so much better. Have I called you a total putz? If not believe me, between laughing and crying I am thinking it.

God help me, my edge is about to be "stole". What will I do?

:p

#28     Aug 5, 2006
  9. Well put. And anybody who has the discipline to steal and edge and make it work properly would probably have already developed his own edge without needing to steal it from others. :D

Suss

#29     Aug 5, 2006
  10. pattern nut

pattern nut Guest

You know what, whether he real DEAL OR NO DEAL

I will do some reading on the whole catching signals thing, I think Holmes put it well.
    Today’s generation doesn’t do much thinking only discrediting without basis.

Hey I found informative site http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html

#30     Aug 5, 2006