I can not trade futures in this enviroment

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by myminitrading, Mar 1, 2007.

1. I guess it's all about your trading methodology - my stops have not changed at all just b/c we have more volatility. As a matter of fact, my positions are turning much more profitable, much quicker with this volatility.

I can understand though if you like slow and steady, this is not the environment for you! I guess I like instant gratification and this market is providing that - either you turn a profit or loss fairly quickly. No f'in around!

#51     Mar 1, 2007
  2. Real traders know that different methodologies work in different environments. Many strategies that were printing money for the last few months would have created nothing but losses the last few days.

#52     Mar 1, 2007
  3. Neet

Neet

Twice as big stops and targets.

Reduce car size by half.

That should get the ball rolling.

Good luck

Neet

#53     Mar 1, 2007
  4. dinoman

dinoman

This market is a trader's dream. If you cannot trade futures with this type of volatility then you should quit trading them all together as along with stocks.

#54     Mar 1, 2007
  5. I agree traveling - certain trading methodologies work better in 'chop', trending, big volatility, low volatility, etc. It's just a matter of the trader recognizing where the strengths and weaknesses of their trading methodology is.

#55     Mar 1, 2007
  6. risky63

risky63

thats all thats need to be said.........just like forex

#56     Mar 1, 2007
  7. jd7419

jd7419

these markets are great. I have made more money in the last 3 days than I have for rest of this year. This market tells you very quickly if you are right or wrong. For those of you having a problem trading this market plot the atr on a 3 minute chart and look back as far as your data feed will let you. The volatility over the last 3 days on these bars is about four times the range of the last couple years excluding last may. Adjust accordingly to the change in the markets character.

Also look at a monthly chart of the vix. It looks like(i hope) that the secular downtrend of volatility over the last year 5-6 years is ending. Hopefully we are just starting to see days like these.

#57     Mar 1, 2007
  8. I'm with you brownsfan I love this market, it's too easy. Done by lunch with more points than a normal day.

#58     Mar 1, 2007
  9. Used to trade volatility like this all the time before the emini's, try waiting 30 seconds to get your fills while they are arbing your order to the pit from the desk.

Oh yeah, that's even before the split, a handle was $500 on the spooz. Good times are here again!!!!! Of course commissions were about $16/rt and data, software cost about $400/month. Good old days. Hmmmmm.

#59     Mar 1, 2007
  10. SO who is really getting killed????

European investors, or the japanese and chinese debt lenders....well to US.

#60     Mar 1, 2007