I can NOt follow the Trend

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Flashboy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. If you cant make money it is cause you suck and the stock market isn't for you.

#21     Aug 30, 2007
  2. The voice of experience?

#22     Aug 30, 2007
  3. This behavior is all a by product of your internal fears. Until you know yourself you will not be able to change your way of thinking, thus you will remain trapped in unprofitable actions.

#23     Sep 1, 2007
  4. It's a common disease among amateur traders. You feel more comfortable counter trading because since the market is volatile and moves in triangles by nature, all that recent monster run "should be over soon" and you would be "better off" reversing, to ride what you so hopelessly missed.

Clearly, the market's most powerful psychological weapon ever.

Until you beat it, it will defeat you, it's that simple.

Anek

#24     Sep 1, 2007
  5. The market almost never beats YOU, you most always let the market beat yourself.

#25     Sep 1, 2007
  6. ess1096

ess1096

You might be assuming two things...

1) A trend can only be called a trend if it's on a daily chart. FALSE

2) A trend always means UPtrend. FALSE

See the attached chart for a few trend trading opportunities in the last three trading days.

#26     Sep 1, 2007
  7. Though it may be semantics I agree 100% with Anek... the market beats you by looking or behaving in a way that makes you want to do the exact opposite of what you usually should be doing.

If you don't have a 100% mechanical rule based strategy then instead thinking "should I buy" or "should I sell" change that to "at this time does the market look like one should be.... long.... short.... or flat". It is a subtle difference, but one I find very useful to ask myself.

There was a guy named Frankie Joe who several years always beat Marty Swartz in the trading contests. His died sometime ago I believe, but one of his sayings always has stayed with me. It was simply "trends up, I'm long"! I think this ties nicely in with the thought of not whether to buy or sell but rather which way to be positioned at the moment.

#27     Sep 1, 2007
  8. go long, make money so simple

#28     Sep 1, 2007
  9. ess1096

ess1096

Your 3000+ comments on ET are as useful as Tits on a Bull.

You CONSTANTLY post every little thought that pops into your narrow mind.

In this thread alone you have chimed in FOUR times and have said absolutely NOTHING. Go get a girlfriend, a hobby or something.

#29     Sep 1, 2007
  10. Um not funny, spert.

#30     Sep 1, 2007