I bought VIX puts, come take a look!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Options' started by klurby, Jul 5, 2011.

1. klurby

klurby

Alright atticus, thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it. I am just a young one looking for some action, what can I say lol!! Anyways, what I will do with this current position is I will put in a stop loss just in case it sinks down a lot. What position would you have put on in VIX, if you were using my mindset? Please give me specific strikes and months, so I can get a good idea. thanks!

#11     Jul 5, 2011
  2. Long the 16/20 put spread or perhaps the 12/16/20 fly from 2.00 risk. The basis cannot persist, so there is edge there. It can't be arbed, but you want to be short basis, not long.

#12     Jul 5, 2011
  3. klurby

klurby

Thanks atticus, I will definitely review those strategies. Good news is that I am only playing with $100s not $1000s right now haha.

#13     Jul 5, 2011
  4. dmo

dmo

Klurby, prior to your next vix trade I suggest you watch this video explaining some vix basics, http://masteroptions.com/?p=82 It's been made available by an incredibly benevolent soul at no charge just for vix newbies like you. Really!

#14     Jul 5, 2011
  5. Your strategy makes sense. S&P 1600 in a year. You could also long XIV. Riskier but no time value deterioration.

#15     Jul 5, 2011
  6. klurby

klurby

Fortunately I understood the vix product itself, but i didn't know the index was directly correlated to the futures. Now I know! thanks.

#16     Jul 5, 2011
  7. klurby

klurby

hey failed trad3r can you please tell me more about XIV? Is it related to a specific futures product or is it its own product? I imagine if you are long calls in this, you have a bearish outlook on the VIX? thnx.

#17     Jul 5, 2011
  8. dmo

dmo

Right. That's what Atticus was alluding to when he pointed out that the 18 put and call were just a nickel apart with the futures at 18.05. Think put/call parity.

#18     Jul 5, 2011
  9. klurby

klurby

Thanks for the help dmo, I watched the video and I understand now. The vix futures are an idea of where the markets think the vix will be in that certain month. I also found this information.

VIX/N1: JULY 2011
    VIX/Q1: AUGUST 2011
    VIX/U1: SEPTEMBER 2011
    VIX/V1: OCTOBER 2011
    VIX/X1: NOVEMBER 2011
    VIX/Z1: DECEMBER 2011
    VIX/F2: JANUARY 2012
    VIX/G2: FEBRUARY 2012

#19     Jul 5, 2011
  10. in the long run shorting the vix outperforms a lot of things but its kind of like martingaling

long XIV with risk capital is how i would do it

#20     Jul 5, 2011