I blew out my account

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by snowhite, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Well said Nitro!

#41     Nov 19, 2008
  2. Alright snowhite, you are in good company here. I've never blow up a futures account but I've blown up plenty of stock accounts. When I first got started I'd wire in 5k blow it up, wire in another 5k and blew that up. Each time I did that I felt like I just wanted to grab the 9mm. I gave up on trading plenty of times. On each occasion I learned a lot about myself and a lot about the markets and when enough time passed I vowed I'd be back. I started making money fairly consistently and one day it was like someone flipped a switch and I knew how to trade. I've been going strong ever since. If you're meant to make it in trading you'll be back but you have to come back a better person and a better trader. If you keep doing the same thing another 20k will go poof.

<b>No one makes it in this business without blowing up at least once.</b>

Don't come back until you have read Mark Douglas inside and out. Good luck!

#42     Nov 19, 2008
  3. perr

perr

hey whitesnow

come back with a new name.

you can be playing in snow these days.

This is War today and your game need's to be
    real good...

I have never seen Markets so control.

trade well
    perr

#43     Nov 19, 2008
  4. sumosam

sumosam

most traders have done the same...this in any case is not unusual. i had a big draw down...was doing great, and got overconfident. plus overdid it with a job i had and trading.

best thing that could have happened,,, when i do get a drawdown, it forces me to take only the best of the best trades....and i found my limits....only trade small amounts; plus, as my sucess procedes, i trade less, not more.

many sucessful people have run into bankruptcies, etc but as they say...the cream always rises to the top:D

#44     Nov 19, 2008
  5. Just go to the TARP and restart tomorrow! :eek:

#45     Nov 19, 2008
  6. With all due respect, that is simply false.

Blowing up has nothing to do with it. Many (if not most) who blow up never come back.

It is all about the persistence, discipline, knowledge, and hard work. Those who come back after losing big have those, or learn how to get those. Even so, one does not need to blow up to get those in the first place.

#46     Nov 19, 2008

7. You don't know what you got until it's gone! Hard to know a situation if you didn't go though the situation yourself.

Here is one for you

Good decisions comes from having experience. Getting experience comes from making bad decisions

#47     Nov 19, 2008
  8. d08

d08

I agree, you definitely don't need to blow up to succeed. I don't support taunting but encouraging is definitely not helpful in this case - he may just as well come back upbeat when he really should feel down about it.
    Blowing up 5 accounts before getting it right? Some must have a lot of free time and deep pockets.

#48     Nov 19, 2008
  9. Quote from sharkysmachine:

a LOT more. how dumb must you be to blow out an entire account? that ain't smart is it?

sharkysmachine

Quote from Pita:

see and idiots like this are the best proof that much more you learn when turning your back to ET.:p

LOL. EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! but it doesn't hurt if sharky has blown out a few papertrading accounts...

#49     Nov 19, 2008
  10. 20k no big deal. the market is trending down, you can long those ultra-short ETFs like SKF, QID, SDS, FXP,....

but the bear market is difficult to deal with, even we are trending down, occasinally there are short squeeze, that is why we have 1000points up in dow in one trading session. sharp down, then sharp up,...., swing very wildly. keep your risk under control is the key toward success! dow is forming a double top, will go down to 3000~5000 before christmas! but if you short it at wrong time and you did not handle volatility well, you dead!

#50     Nov 19, 2008