I blew out my account

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by snowhite, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Very true, I used to suffer from all those problems. Thankfully a big blowout made me re-assess myself. Best thing that ever happened to my trading. (Though like the OP, it didn't seem so at the time)

#21     Nov 19, 2008
  2. You gotta love stock trad3r. How about shorting GOOG woulden't that have been a better investment?

#22     Nov 19, 2008

3. good post. I have found that for me, making many small uncorrelated bets without having too strong an opinion works best. Leverage kills in this market.

#23     Nov 19, 2008
  4. Thank you for the post. I understand that I am not the only one it happens too.

#24     Nov 19, 2008
  5. RAY

RAY

Could be the best thing you have ever posted.

A long way from arguing about routers and motherboards. ;)

The above is a profound piece of the puzzle.

#25     Nov 19, 2008
  6. Pita

Pita

I know only 2 traders (personal friends) who did never blow out. They are about 10 years in the game now but guess what, they also didnt make any money during such a long time. Ups and downs and the whole again. They are not traders but the real gamblers wasting such an ammount of time and finally there is nothing what they could build up or bring them any kind of prosperity. Trading is about money making and the essential discipline put behind your actions to get paid for taking a risk. If you dont have the appropriate exectations and I am not talking about income levels here but trade selection, strategies, methods or simple patterns which make you confident to place a trade when they occur there is no chance that you will not blow out or worse bleed out by time. No pain no gain thats the way I have experienced it and I have successfully traded 5 accounts to zero before I started to ignore everything around me to look out where to pick the fruits in the markets.
    Take a break from trading as long as you need and dont listen to people who tell you when it is already too late that you were stupid to go long in such a market or whatever similar. A good trader will not encourage you nor discourage you simply because he faced it all and I do believe there is no way around than suffering while you learn.
    Your results proof you as a loser at the moment, wounded and disgruntled I agree. I also agree that you should say good bye to ET but that doesnt mean there is no place in the markets for you.

#26     Nov 19, 2008
  7. wonder if he's even around to hear his fan mail?

#27     Nov 19, 2008
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Ouch.

Now, get gloriously drunk tonight, eat red meat and covort with questionable women if possible.

When you wake up in the morning you will see that indeed the world did not end overnight. You are still alive and kicking.

Then start planning for your comeback and eventual world domination. I think P.T. Barnum made and lost a huge fortune 7 times.

It ain't over till you are on a stainless steel gurney with a toe tag. Just make sure you honestly evaluate what happened so that you may alter your method(s).

#28     Nov 19, 2008
  9. sorry to hear that snowhite. Most if not all the great ones blew at least one account. Its rough out there for sure. Just let the market take you where it wants you to go (short) and don't try to swim upstream (long).

#29     Nov 19, 2008
  10. There are a lot of people who want to be traders for a variety of reasons. They just aren't capable and do not possesses the skills and abilities to be traders.
    Not everyone can play in the NFL, not everyone can be a Doctor, not everyone can achieve an MBA or a PHD, not everyone can be a successful trader or investor.
    The world needs bartenders.

Trading attracts many that have failed elsewhere or can not succeed in business school or other disciplines. The barriers to entry are minimal and the lure is great.

They are the fodder for the cannons.

#30     Nov 19, 2008