I bet the best traders on ET do this...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chrisdunn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. #21     Jun 17, 2009
  2. GiantDog

GiantDog

#22     Jun 17, 2009
  3. One of the main reasons (not the only reason) that traders are not able to apply proper money management, proper capitalization, proper trade management, understanding the true cost of a trade et cetera is due to underestimating the importance of trader psychology.

A trader that has read and learned proper money management will still need discipline to apply it consistently.

In addition, most traders are not suitable for trading prior to their first trade and it's mainly because they've WAY underestimated the importance of trader psychology.

Can these types of traders change?

Of course they can and hopefully before they've burned through their trading capital.

Also, don't make the classic mistake of thinking one (trader psychology) is more important than the others (proper money management, good strategy et cetera) because that's not how profitable traders look at it.

Profitable traders see that there's an interdependence between many different variables (psychology, money management et cetera) that allows them to continue their success as their trading plan adapts to market conditions that's forever changing.

Simply, remove, ignore or get fixated upon one thing and you'll self sabotage your trading as most traders do.

Yeah, sure there are times in our trading careers where one of the variables has more of our attention but that should only be due to the fact it's something we're learning for the first time along with trying to merge it into our trading plan with all those other variables.

Last of all, there are different types of edges as noted in past threads about the topic of what is an edge. Therefore, don't make the mistake of thinking an edge is only something related to your strategy and this gets back to issues involving trader psychology.

P.S. My biggest edges has nothing to do with entry or exit signals and the edges are key to my current longevity in my career as a trader.

Mark

#23     Jun 17, 2009
  4. liujs

liujs

I cant help but agree with this guy more. If psychology is the most impt part, all the algo traders, stat arb people would be dead. I personally think that psychology is important only if you allow yourself to make lotsa discretionary decisions in your trading. Because your decisions are the output of both your rational cognitions and your emotions. Your psychology will always affect your decision on whether the market is going up or down.

http://finance4traders.blogspot.com/2009/06/5-things-you-need-to-know-when-creating.html

#24     Jun 21, 2009
  5. Handle123

Handle123

I believe there are two equal parts in trading, psychology and method. A well back tested method producing less than 15% losing trades is min for me to day trade, but that is only if I trade perfectly which is where the psychology comes into play. After nearly three decades of trading, what I once thought was important in year one of designing many sigals and high winning % is least important, and low losing %, one signal and dozens of rules for money management is most important to me now. I have found that if my method cannot be computerized and backtested 3000 plus sample size, all the psychology in the world is not going to allow mw to have warm and fuzzy feeling to trade it.

Handle

#25     Jun 22, 2009
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Why would you need a system with 85% winners??? You should be able to be successful with less than 50% winners---much less.

#26     Jun 22, 2009
  7. mujoh

mujoh

Why should anyone trade a system with less than 50% winners when can make money with 85% winners???

#27     Jun 22, 2009
  8. a coin flip is 50%, a system should do better than that...no ?

#28     Jun 22, 2009
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Winning percentage is one of the lowest priorities in a winning system. However, prudent risk management is paramount.

#29     Jun 22, 2009
  10. Kap

Kap

the proportion of psychological threads on this board is directly propotional to the amount of successful traders on here.
    if your not at least breakeven before commish u don't have that part sorted out yet, needs more work ! - we all know its 95% between the ears dont we :eek:

#30     Jun 22, 2009