I beleive in Buy and hold, its the American way

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by stock777, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Don't ever change before it's too late - you won't be sorry otherwise. Everyone learns from their mistakes - eventually.

Gotta love that strategy - it works for everything from personal responsibility, relationships, business and even the environment.

:p

#11     Oct 7, 2008
  2. I really don't know what to think.
    Stock777 says buy and hold and he can't even spell believe, so the market is going lower. Or, Cramer says sell sell sell, so the market must be going higher.
    When such great reverse indicators are making opposing calls who do you BELEIVE? I'll wait 'til Cramer calls a bottom again before I go short....

#12     Oct 7, 2008
  3. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

That maybe true for people who bought at nose bleed levels. But right now. You have to be crazy not to take the buy and hold strategy. We are at fire sale levels. Buying shares of solid companies is the only way to go right now. Many people have accumulated enormous amounts of wealth with that strategy. :)

#13     Oct 7, 2008
  4. I agree. Long in bull markets. Short in bear. Go for the 4+ month trends...

But you have to cut your losses at some point. to hold on and on becasue "it's the American way.." Is gambling and actually quite pathetic.

#14     Oct 8, 2008
  5. Hmm another numty:

So if you bought HANS at $20 and rode to $200 (after a split $400) ovr a 3year period you have no idea what you are doing?

What about TIE, TASR, etc.... Buy nad hold would have made you fortune day/swing traders can only dream about.

Buy and hold does have it's place.....not right now though.

#15     Oct 8, 2008
  6. Look at current P/E levels and then come back to me.
    THESE ARE NOT BARGAIN PRICES!

[​IMG]

#16     Oct 8, 2008
  7. d08

d08

I dare you to tell that to a Enron, Lehman or Bear Stearns buy-and-holder :)

#17     Oct 8, 2008
  8. If you understand market cycles and money management, you will blow away a buy and hold strategy. The markets are at the same levels they were 10 years ago. That's 10 years of no gains plus opportunity lost. Throw in some inflation and you're down. Many people have also lost fortunes from buying and holding fannie, freddie, mer, bear, wamu, leh, citi, you know , all the safe solid stuff. They've also watched the ciscos of the world lose most of their value. I repeat, if you don't know what you're doing, you might as well buy and hope...er, I mean hold.

#18     Oct 8, 2008
  9. buy and hold = "how long is a piece of string"

buy and hold for how long? 1 day,10 days,1 month, 6 motnhs, 1 year??????

Buy and hold works...it's the time that determines what you make.

#19     Oct 8, 2008
  10. Mark2m

Mark2m

Give the guy a break, when you buy and hold, no problem if you lose 30% - you just have to strive for 44% to break even.

#20     Oct 8, 2008