I beat the Debt Collectors--true

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by riddler, Jun 3, 2011.

1. I have 3 questions...

1) Can a collection agency seize assets that you have like a home, car, or bank and brokerage account to pay off debts or can they only garnish your wages?

2) If you are self-employed, how would they be able to garnish your wages?

3) Can a collection agency garnish social security income, disability income, or unemployment compensation?

#41     Jun 6, 2011
  2. riddler

riddler

yes they can..they get a judgement and then they could file to sieze assets. always respond to lawsuits. they cannot just get a jhudgement,you are notified via certified mail and then you respond by contesting it. you go to court(do not get a lawyer) and before the trial,the judge has you sit in a private room with a mediator. lets when you say you can only afford 20%...very easy. if you ignore the lawsuit,they will get your assets and then there are no negotiations. do not be foolish.

#42     Jun 7, 2011
  3. Can people just clean out their bank and brokerage accounts before a lawsuit to hide their cash in a safe?

#43     Jun 7, 2011
  4. Max E.

Max E.

This is a huge problem with the way people are being raised these days.

My dad taught me from a young age, that i should be ashamed of myself if dont pay off debts, or pay my own way for anything once i turn 18. He made it very clear he would never pay a dime for anything i wanted to do from that time onward, and i ended up working and paying my own way by the time i was 13, and working almost full time when i was 16. He also told me if i choose to have sex, that i would damn well end up paying for the kid, even if it meant him helping the mother take me to court. When i went to university i paid my own way through school, and lived on my own, ran a business and bartended at night, at times when i had no money to eat, i went down to a company called "Labour ready," and took day employment at some of the shittiest jobs imaginable, because they would pay you out at the end of the day for a days work, I have never had a debt in my life that i could not repay instantly if the shit hit the fan.

There are lots of people out there who are even willing to be interviewed for news articles who have no problem with telling the interviewer that the reason they will not accept a low end job is because they make more money from government handouts, what kind of society is this, where people have absolutely no shame admitting they would rather live on government handouts then take a shit job, because it pays less. And then you have idiots out there like Michael Moore who tell us we should feel sorry for all these people whose homes are being foreclosed on. Well guess what? If you bought a house you could afford you would not be being foreclosed on, its as simple as that.

Kudos to you and other people who pass along this message, it seems that people who live like this are few and far between these days, there should be zero sympathy for people who live beyond their means and end up screwing creditors.

#44     Jun 7, 2011
  5. Maxipad that was a heart warming self–congratulatory story, it was a nice touch degrading others while building yourself up. Please don't stop, tell us more about your accomplishments and the failures of others.

#45     Jun 7, 2011
  6. Max E.

Max E.

You are a failure, and I am a winner, simple as that.

Does that help you out?

#46     Jun 7, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

You sure are awfully sensitive for a contractor/construction worker. While they're not generally very bright (present company excluded of course) I used to think of those guys as a man's man for the most part.

#47     Jun 7, 2011
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Its funny that a liberal like you would read into my economic situation and automatically assume that im trying to batter others while building myself up.

Admittedly I have a checkered past when it comes to other areas of life, forgive me for not giving you my life story and every problem i have ever had while i tried to talk about the fact that i have been responsible from a monetary standpoint for my entire life.

I would have thought that a liberal like you would understand this simple fact.

#48     Jun 7, 2011
  9. Heck Lucrum I have my sensitive side, Maxipad's story brought a tear to my eye. He's a hero in his own mind and that's good enough for me. Don't know if I've ever been a man's man, but I did have a good long run of being a ladies man. I think those days are behind me though, damn it.

#49     Jun 7, 2011
  10. Max E.

Max E.

Maybe Max E. Pad can sop up your tears......

#50     Jun 7, 2011