I beat the Debt Collectors--true

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by riddler, Jun 3, 2011.

1. The CC companies are crooked as hell and all of them accepted tarp money. I'm not advocating being a deadbeat but it is hard to feel sorry for getting screwed on unsecured debt that they loan shark out.

Clark Rennick Howard out:cool:

#11     Jun 3, 2011
  2. riddler

riddler

i was using the credit card to pay my bills not buy screen tv's. it was either use the cards or have my electric shut off and not eat. yeah,it was that bad! alot was RIDICULOUS FEE'S THOUGH.
    I told the cc companies about my problem and all they did was kept calling home and refused to offer me any kind of payment plan. the collection agencies are a bunch of scum bags. you guys want to say i am a deadbeat, go ahead. hopefully someone thats in the position i was in will learn from it and understand he has options. THEY ALWAYS SETTLE . they know getting a lump sum is better than garnishing wages. wake up.

#12     Jun 3, 2011
  3. Eight

Eight

You really don't get a thing with regard to your credit score when you settle... it just stays on your record... Better to never pay them anything and then get an attorney to get them to remove things from the record. It's easier for them to remove things from your credit record than go through all the hassle of proving that they actually have the records that back up what they are saying about you... [that says a lot about the nobility of the Credit Card companies, they don't take a Noble approach when it comes to backing up what they claim, they go with the easiest, cheapest way out they can] It takes about a year to get everything off your record... and don't forget to sue the collections agency crackheads, they all break all the laws so just get your phone records and a good attorney and sue them while you are at it all... rinse and repeat at will.

If they would make one little change in the way things were done I would advocate paying them off... if paying them off would get your record cleaned up or at least would show that you paid them off and if that would then improve one's credit score... but it does not even do any of that so might as well stiff 'em, sue the collectors, keep the Bigscreen TV and give them all the finger while you exit the stage...

#13     Jun 4, 2011
  4. riddler

riddler

this is NOT on my credit report. my citi bank account was deleted because the account was closed and there was no activity for a long time..its not on any of my credit reports,. anyway,the company that sued me had it put back on so i called all 3 reporting agencies and said that was NOT my account. they then had to contact the collection agency,not citibank to prove the debt was mine. of course they could not. so none of this is on my report. the only time it will is if they get an actual judgement. settlements are NOT judgements and do not go on your credit report.
    lets say the 7k i owed citi was charged off,which it was..it only stays on your reprt and then eventually comes off after 7 years of the last activity or from the day the account is closed...i forget which.

#14     Jun 4, 2011
  5. It is supposed to fall off of the credit report after 7 years of last activity. Don't be surprised if in a few years it shows up on your credit report.
    The collection agencies don't honor the 7 year law or any laws. They have also been know to try to collect the amount they discounted to you. They're bad people.

#15     Jun 4, 2011
  6. riddler

riddler

you are right, they are bad people and thats why i let it go to court.,the settlement is documented. it will not show up on my report because its settled and i had the credit reporting agency remove it when they put it on last year. ..its off for good. once its taken off because the debt collector cannot prove the debt, they will not allow them to put it on again.

#16     Jun 4, 2011
  7. Whenever a thread like this comes up, the High and Mighty take their stance.... They have no compassion for the person that got themselves in a bad spot.

We're all irresponsible at times (aren't we), and we all act irresponsible at different points in our lives. Do you know what this guy's circumstances are? Maybe some of the people that criticized and insulted this guy act irresponsibly (in other) ways too. Do you eat in an irresponsible fashion (are you overweight), are you a cheat, do you act unethically in other ways... It's funny how the High and Mighty point their finger at any chance they get.

Give the OP a break, he made the best of a situation, and btw (given the circumstances) all parties (in the end) got what they wanted, they all made out. Even the original creditor, got a tax write-off and I'm sure that they still showed a hefty profit in the year end tax return.

And even if the OP just plainly overspent, oh well, maybe he did infact act in an irresponsible fashion; maybe he learned a valuable lesson and will pass on his experience to others.

And on top of it all, we don't know the OP's circumstances that led up to this event. Give the guy a break and look in the mirror.

#17     Jun 4, 2011
  8. riddler

riddler

well saids buddy. my circumstances were bad, believe me. i started the post in case anyone else is currently in the position i was in. i wish i had some encouragement.

#18     Jun 6, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

NO I don't, and make no apologies for it either.

Absolutely, only I didn't walk away from my debts, obligations or responsibilities because it was the easy/convenient thing to do. I didn't game or abuse the system. I PAID in full for any and all of my irresponsibility.
    I would think I'm entitled to expect everyone else to man the fuck up and do the same.

#19     Jun 6, 2011
  10. riddler

riddler

let me ask you this: if you owed 7k on a credit card and lost your job and tried to work something out with the cc company but they basically said to fuck off..would you man up and rob a bank to pay your debt! gimme a fuckin break, you are living in a dreamland.

#20     Jun 6, 2011