I assume everyone has heard about this one by now...

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Cabin111, Feb 5, 2019.

1. tsznecki

tsznecki

WTF. No it doesn't work that way.

Extremely slim chance the private keys are lying around somewhere. You really need to stop talking about things you know nothing about.

#11     Feb 6, 2019
  2. JSOP

JSOP

There will be ways, trust me. The money is virtual; it doesn't exist except in some bytes and bits!! Faking death would be hard in developed world with advanced surveillance technology but in India?? A country with 1.3 billion people and relatively lax technology? People who have disappeared in USA have managed to live as someone else undetected for 20+ years before getting caught. Spending $190 million in 20+ years would be plenty.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    #12     Feb 6, 2019
  3. maxinger

maxinger

PLEASE use appropriate title.

#13     Feb 6, 2019
  4. Cabin111

Cabin111

I'm just curious, how is crypto treated in bankruptcy and estate filings?? Is it the current market value at the time of filing?? Notes and deeds of trust are usually discounted on the open market since most will not get 100% of value sold. Would like to hear how crypto is treated...

Also would love to hear how a CPA or attorney would treat this case in a filing...

#14     Feb 6, 2019
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

So you are saying, THERE IS a chance? Also, if the deceased happens to be found alive, now what odds are we putting on that?

Depending on just how big of an idiot the dead guy was, the chance of recovery isn't zero. So it is perfectly logical for companies betting on recovery and buying up claims...

#15     Feb 6, 2019
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

#16     Feb 6, 2019
  7. Considering criptos will go to zero, they will not loose too much

#17     Feb 6, 2019
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, we are talking about India here.... Sure, the coins later on washed through a tumbler is an indication of him being alive, but plausible deniability is all he needs...

As long as he can quickly cash out enough (obviously not all) to live on for the next few decades the trick could pay off....

I am just toying with the idea here: First he needs a few quiet months to establish new identity and maybe a little face change,etc. Also the news cycle move on. Then he can start to withdraw coins, put them through tumblers a few times and start to cash out. This is the one operation that requires speed and possible crypto ATMs...

I am surprised Hollywood hasn't caught on to this type of crime stories yet...

#18     Feb 6, 2019
  9. schweiz

schweiz

So his right idea was useless. He should have had 2 right ideas or none.

#19     Feb 6, 2019
  10. schweiz

schweiz

They can show his dead body, no? Or did he disappear too like the coins?

#20     Feb 6, 2019