I am tired of day trading, but overnight margin is too high

Discussion in 'Trading' started by APA, May 17, 2008.

1. Why don't you trade spreads......pretty low margin in spreads.

#11     May 17, 2008
  2. ammo

ammo

you can get flat at the close and put your future back out after the reopen in ah,or by spy puts or calls or option sprds so you dont get caught in 25 pt ah spu moves on the wrong side

#12     May 17, 2008
  3. depends on the product being traded ... shoot them an email and they should be able to give you that information.

#13     May 17, 2008
  4. nevadan

nevadan

#14     May 17, 2008
  5. promagma

promagma

In my experience, IB starts auto liquidating futures at around 3:50 or 3:51pm if you aren't meeting the overnight margin.

#15     May 17, 2008
  6. You shouldn't be in this "game" if you don't already understand that the EXCHANGES and CFTC set the overnight margins, not the broker.

You said in a previous thread that you have been long gold for quite some time . . .
    Ever take a look at the overnight margin?

Guess not.

#16     May 17, 2008
  7. OK, I believe I read that bundled commission rate is better if you hold over night and unbundled is better for day traders.

If I close my positions at 4 to 4.15 PM, would that mean I am holding overnight?

Thanks

#17     May 17, 2008
  8. There's so much misinformation here, and so many people who clearly don't know shit.

#18     May 17, 2008
  9. Hi

Why would you ever want to position trade the ES for?

When the IM is $3,500 to $4,000 per one lot contract and the ES's "daily" price change, is only an average of a 2 to 4 point ? (And only if your trade is on the correct market side).

Very poor odds of making good money and safely that way.

The IM for ES intraday is around $500 per lot, meaning way less risk trading.

I am an intraday price up and down swing flow trader.

Shifu the ONE

#19     May 17, 2008
  10. promagma

promagma

Yep anything after 4pm for futures is overnight, and with IB you really gotta get out by 3:50pm. Unbundled is only a better deal if you do a lot of volume.

#20     May 17, 2008