I am thinking of buying a GAS SCOOTER

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Compulsive, May 16, 2008.

1. maxpi

maxpi

My commute is a walk from the bedroom to the computer, with a pit stop usually..... I'm thinking of converting a Trek to electric just for fun, they can be set up to do 40 miles and recharge in a few hours.....

#21     May 16, 2008
  2. Car pooling is great when your co-pooler is nice to talk to and shares the same interests, you should give it a try. The worst that can happen is you don't make a good friend.

But get the bike too. Don't aim to save huge amounts right away, just ride it in when the weather's good and you feel like it. After a month you'll be feeling like it every day. Just ride safe and wear a high vision jacket, you'll look a lot more silly if you get hit.

I've ridden bikes on and off for years with just the one crash (that I walked away from - I was riding like a nut case that day). It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

#22     May 16, 2008
  3. katesdp

katesdp

Aren't scooters like fat chicks? Fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

#23     May 16, 2008
  4. Or the Dan Ryan LOL--he'll be target practice.

#24     May 16, 2008
  5. In good weather I prefer a bicycle too. I always stay off the busy main roads or any road that has more than two lanes. It's too dangerous for yourself and you're just a nuisance to the cars as well in busy traffic.

I've figured out how to get through the city using quiet subdivision streets, parking lots, sidewalks, parks etc. I can get anywhere in the city just as fast as a car since I don't have to wait for stop lights etc. Yes, I probably break several traffic laws with every trip but at least I'm getting there without adding any pollution. I'm always very careful around pedestrians especially young children. Don't ever expect me to follow the official line that a bicycle has to follow the same rules as a car. If I did that and rode on the streets with the traffic I'd either be dead or kill someone else in an accident by creating a hazard.

In our province, you can be fined for going through a stop sign or traffic light. However as long as you don't give the police your driver's licence (which you don't have to here) you won't get points against your licence. I'm not crazy though, I might not come to a full stop at a stop sign but I'm always careful to yield the proper right of way.

A bicycle is a great way to get home from the bar too. You can probably get in some trouble for drinking and bicycling but a lot less than you would in a car. I've been told by the police that they'll give a lot more leeway to a drunken cyclist than a driver since the cyclist is only likely to harm himself, not others. I've heard of Mothers against Drunk Drivers but I've never heard of Mothers against Drunk Cyclists. My cousins in Europe told me that nobody there drives a car to the bar, that's an automatic jail sentence. Everyone takes a bicycle to the bar.

#25     May 16, 2008
  6. That explains why I had a bad feeling about buying the new 2009 Vespa XLBBW-1000 motor scooter! Thanks Kate! :p

#26     May 16, 2008
  7. #27     May 16, 2008
  8. 9999

And why is that? Last time I checked, our bikes and scooters are actually pretty good.

#28     May 16, 2008
  9. My thoughts exactly. I saw the results of enough motorcycle accidents that I will stay in the car, thanks.

Especially if truly > 70 miles a day. You are asking to turn your wife into a widow.

Will your tombstone say "But gee honey, I saved $$$"

#29     May 16, 2008
  10. nljones5

nljones5

bicycle is a great way to get home from the bar too. You can probably get in some trouble for drinking and bicycling but a lot less than you would in a car. I've been told by the police that they'll give a lot more leeway to a drunken cyclist than a driver since the cyclist is only likely to harm himself, not others. I've heard of Mothers against Drunk Drivers but I've never heard of Mothers against Drunk Cyclists. My cousins in Europe told me that nobody there drives a car to the bar, that's an automatic jail sentence. Everyone takes a bicycle to the bar.

Hmm, a great way? Maybe not.. Think separated shoulder and skull fracture (hey, I was young then). Cement is very unforgiving even if you're nice and limber.

#30     May 16, 2008