I am thinking of buying a GAS SCOOTER

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Compulsive, May 16, 2008.

1. For safety reasons I would go smart car before that. Everyone I know that ever owned a motorcycle crashed, most of them due to cars causing the accidents.

Or if you are real serious consider getting a diesel and making your own biodiesel. It is about 70 cents a gallon from my last reading and you get 40+ MPG. Only downside is you have to collect the oil from fast food and Asian restaurants and mix it. The other alternative would be to get a conversion kit to run ethanol and go that route if you have ethanol stations in your area since our tax subsidies are keeping the price artificially low, about 90 cents less a gallon.

I don't drive much at all day trading so it doesn't make sense to me yet.

#11     May 16, 2008
  2. The best solution I see right now is a plug in hybrid. Regular hybrids are just a superficial solution when you only get about 10 or 20% better fuel efficiency. You can get a kit here for about $10,000:
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/plugin_hybrid_k.php

From the fuel savings you could probably pay back the $10,000 in few years. One advantage would be great resale value if gas prices continue to rise.

I'm sure that in a few years, plug in hybrids will be available right from the factory.

#12     May 16, 2008
  3. Mvic

Mvic

9 Miles? Ride a bike to work (depending on terrain etc shouldn't take longer than your current commute), probably safer than a scooter too, great for your health and pocket book. Days when it is raining take the van.

#13     May 16, 2008
  4. Trade one of the cars in and get a smart car and a scooter.

I saw a smartcar closeup the other day and was impressed. Well made and surprising amount of room for how small they are.

#14     May 16, 2008
  5. What about retro fitting or getting a vehicle that uses used cooking oil? I guess they would be similar to diesel engines, but I don't know or hear much about them....

#15     May 16, 2008
  6. #16     May 16, 2008
  7. Bob111

Bob111

civic or corolla imo way better than this overpriced 3 cyl piece of s*t
    i use to have 1.6 nissan sentra-35-40mpg easy. 55-60$ from NY to FL decade ago.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busine.../03/02/0303smartcarbox.html?cxntlid=inform_sr

#17     May 16, 2008
  8. Using the "Ike" would be safer than using Roosevelt Road or Washington Street. You're trading one hazard for another......larger vehicles versus bullets. Pick your poison. :p

#18     May 16, 2008
  9. #19     May 16, 2008
  10. toc

toc

Why not put up an ad in newspaper and you will find someone who has nearly same work route and times like youself and then gas and costs can be split. Further more folks can be added to the ride. It works out to be cheaper than public transport option.:D

#20     May 16, 2008