I am sick of these fake mentors

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Jun 11, 2015.

1. As astrofinance goes, I favor interplanetary lines of support. I'd show you the evidence, but I signed an NDA with NASA.

#91     Jun 12, 2015
    lucysparabola and dbphoenix like this.
  2. I just like to engage into this kind of threads!

They make effectively all other threads on ET becoming unimportant, unattractive and uninterested anymore!

Please keep coming! lol

#92     Jun 12, 2015
  3. MrN

MrN

No, it isn't - It is how the big boys trade. While I can't validate what surf is doing the basic concept is very sound.

#93     Jun 12, 2015
    lucysparabola and londonkid like this.
  4. qxr1011

qxr1011

Guru is a teacher in Sanskrit. Guru has a doctrine, and followers to whom he tries to transmit his wisdom.

Anyone who trades for a living can be guru, in theory, but why, what for?

By the time a person reach that level he is usually beyond the age, when you want everybody to stand up when you entering the room (or forum) :)

Money ? Traders usually quite rich, may be not f@king reach but very close to that... :), (and remember you can not find their names in Forbes and they do not give interviews on CNBC)

So real traders that still can trade - do not teach.

Now about the subject.

I personally do not believe that somebody who could not not make it himself can teach trading. So when I hear someone selling trading courses or trading methods, I know its a bullshit.

I have no problem when peoples teach or sell anything else related (or possibly can be related) to trading.

Teaching math - no problem, programming lessons -ok, theory of any kind of analysis - sure, anything... just do not say you teach how to trade which is how to make money!

People, of any occupation may sell they knowledge as a product because otherwise they will not make money. Not the trader.

Trader is the only occupation when you make final goal off all peoples efforts - Money !

Now who is the trader in my definition.

Very simple - trader is anyone who trades for a living using only his own money (margin is ok).

That's it... all those parrots form the Wall Street, that called traders, they are just executioners of orders and will not survive a day, trading on their own... (that's why when fired their become waiters.. and that's what their really are.. waiters)

Everybody else, those suckers that make mere 10 % a year, and think that this a limit of everybody else's dreams and abilities, may be money managers, financial consultants, even fund managers, they all are not traders. They are not making money on the market, their making money near the market - serving clients....

So bottom line - there are no gurus, because gurus do not talk, do not teach, do not make statements: "Buy (or short) XYZ !"

#94     Jun 12, 2015
  5. Do you think the "basic concept" could possibly have been made to sound even more vague? I'm not sure that it could. Whereas, in stark contrast, the gent in question repeatedly insists and demands that people disclose their systems or methods to him so that he can do them the favor of testing and validating them empirically. For free! Because he's such a giver.

Meanwhile:

http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index...these-fake-mentors.292188/page-8#post-4135325

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    #95     Jun 12, 2015
  6. londonkid

londonkid

from what I can see surf comes up with some good entries however he often engages in seemingly poor money management and exaggerated emotional response. When he goes offside he shows stubborness (something which a lot of us suffer from). With a risk manager in place I think surf would fair well. Above all he is a TA hater i.e. one of the good guys lol

#96     Jun 12, 2015
    marketsurfer likes this.
  7. Make enough calls, and anyone can land some good ones. It's the "what then?" that matters. The behavior you are describing can be the result of random entries and worse-than-random exits.

As for your reference to TA, any method that principally makes use of price in its decision criteria falls under the purview of TA, by definition. Don't judge the PA branch of the family by its many lunatic TA cousins. That's mindless broad-brush labeling.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    #97     Jun 12, 2015
    fourtiwinks likes this.
  8. londonkid

londonkid

did you set up a multi nic to give yourself likes ;)

#98     Jun 12, 2015
    marketsurfer likes this.
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Make it vague enough and you can get away with anything.

#99     Jun 12, 2015
  10. Bingo-- yes, excellent observation and deduction. Thanks

#100     Jun 12, 2015