I am sick of talking about my job

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by taclander, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ash1972

Ash1972

I know what it's like:

"Hey, hey, you're a trader - tell me, what stocks should I buy?"

--- "Actually I trade futures, not stocks, and.."

"Yeah, great, great, tell me, what stock should I buy? What d'you think of Apple right now?"

--- "I don't really take a view on shares. I trade futures technically, which means.."

"Yeah I know all that technical stuff, but what are the best stocks right now? D'ya reckon Apple's going to recover?"

--- "Yes. Buy AAPL".

"Gee thanks, I knew it."

#31     Jan 7, 2013
  2. This country is a joke.

#32     Jan 8, 2013
  3. seadog

seadog

Ash, I've heard those questions and responses so many times, they just don't listen. You can tell them you have 3 mins to explain.Then go off on some technical nerdy info. They usually walk away with the confused look. Which is what you want. Don't bullshit, you don't have to. I trade futures as well.
    seadog

#33     Jan 8, 2013
  4. unilever

whisper it under your breath

it's almost always a good time to buy it

and it very rarely goes down enough to get anybody pissed off

plus, it sounds sort of exotic

like you've really given them an inside tip

#34     Jan 8, 2013
  5. querry

querry

i trade futures too and for the sake of ease, lately i just say "I trade the mercantile exchange" adding nothing else. If they ask what it is, then I just tell them it's a commodity exchange. I don't waste my time trying to explain further. One guy said "oh kinda like Eddie Murphy in that movie, orange juice and pork bellies". I said "yea kinda like that except most trading is electronic now. There are many things that can be traded." it seems to keep me out of the whole stock market micro talk that i don't pay much attention to. Truth is they will never understand so i just keep it simple.

#35     Jan 8, 2013
  6. seadog

seadog

I've heard " intra day liquidity provider" ,keep in mind some of these folks might no someone that might have some mad money to invest. Former broker, so I guess I think that way.

#36     Jan 8, 2013
  7. I have trouble explaining to people what I do for a living - and I'm an engineer. :p

#37     Jan 8, 2013
  8. So you drive trains right? :D

#38     Jan 8, 2013
  9. Handle123

Handle123

Got to hit that button before 90 seconds or train slows down, what a boring job to have to hit buttons, hmmmmmm I'm there now.

#39     Jan 8, 2013
  10. themickey

themickey

Talking about hitting buttons, I was chatting to an attractive Asian chic via Skype yesterday, she lives in Asia and wants to live with me in Australia.
    When she found out I wanted someone in my life to share expenses, she was off me like in seconds.

Point is, most people seem to be looking for freeby info and freeby handouts.

Now don't tell me I'm tight fisted.
    Her sister lives in Australia, just terminated her 3rd marriage, they clean the guys out.

#40     Jan 8, 2013