I Am Legend Remake

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vanhelsing, Sep 3, 2006.

1. I have always been a fan of the horror and science fiction genres, both in film and literature. I am usually critical whenever Hollywood tries to adapt great books into movies. Most of the time, the results are not very pretty. However, I was very excited to learn that there was going to be a new filming of the Richard Matheson classic "I Am Legend". Of course, Hollywood had taken a couple of stabs at this before. First, there was the Vincent Price film Last Man On Earth. While certainly not a bad film, it could still have been better. Matheson actually wrote the orignal screenplay, but there were so many rewrites that the end result deviated from both his original novel and the screenplay he had written. As for The Omega Man with Charlton Heston, it was campy and entertaining but little else. This version deviated heavily from the original story including removing most vampirical elements. Basically, these two films did not do the original novel justice. Anyway, I arrived at imdb.com to find out the unfortunate news. Will Smith (Fresh Prince of Bel Air) will be the guy that plays Robert Neville in the new film. Actually, his character is just listed as "Neville". Usually, when the name is shortened to only the last name that means it will probably be an over-the-top action flick. I can see it now. Smith will carry around a special machine gun while chomping on a cigar and killing hoards of ravenous (yet stupid) CGI zombies while trying to save the day. I wonder what rap song he will release for this film? By the way, did I mention Michael Bay is involved? Surely there are some sci-fi and horror fans on ET. What do you think about this remake?