I am getting my butt handed to me on a daily basis!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jeredlbb, Jun 18, 2013.

1. That was funny!

#21     Jun 19, 2013
  2. Point taken. Thanks

#22     Jun 19, 2013
  3. Visaria,

I bought the Kindle version and I am starting it now. Yes, I believe my number one problem is not my 'system' or my 'edge', but my own psychology surrounding it.

Thanks

#23     Jun 19, 2013
  4. bau250

bau250

It's very manipulated right now - I would holdback on the LIVE acount and wait till we start pulling back or all new highs.

#24     Jun 19, 2013
  5. Bau250,

How do you know it is any more or less manipulated than any other time? I am in no way saying that I doubt that you know. I would just like to understand about how to know when these extremes occur. The thought has occurred to me to use some sort of a filter to gauge when the market is acting 'strangely'. I can see it in the charts, but have not devised a method of quantifying it. I don't even really know what it is that I am 'seeing'. Hell, I may not be seeing anything in reality.

Thanks

#25     Jun 19, 2013
  6. Eight

Eight

Some have studied markets for as much as twenty years before starting trading.

#26     Jun 19, 2013
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Replace "system" with "thoroughly researched and tested business plan".

Replace "generally" with "precisely".

Read Trading in the Zone and trade your plan in a demo account until you can trade it with a trader's mindset.

Not sure what "try" means here. Do you have a disability that prevents you from seeing your setups and putting on and taking off trades in a timely manner?

With regard to playing reversals, what are your rules for trading a potential reversal?

#27     Jun 19, 2013
  8. bau250

bau250

If the asset you’re watching is trading erratically or tracing out a pattern which can’t be easily classified by your backtesting, it’s best to avoid it. Instead, trade only in assets which display “clean” and tight looking consolidation and/or continuation patterns.

After awhile, you just "know" before the market even opens what kind of day it will be - and if it's even worth trading. This month has been a nightmare for my system, very erratic price action with no rhyme or reason shaking out the weak traders.

#28     Jun 19, 2013
  9. I trade pin bars as a reversal. I have attempted to filter out the pin bars that fail from the pin bars that lead to reversals. My filter is based on ATR and surrounding bars.

I guess in a way I am trading swings intraday. My time frames range from 15min to 4hour. I have been experimenting with tick bar charts as well.

I am starting to learn C# to try to begin to back test thoroughly. As of now I manually back test three or four months. I see that even that is subjective in some ways and can lead to errors. Your recommendations? I was using Tradestation, but recently changed to MultiCharts .NET

I am currently reading Trading in the Zone per Visaria's suggestion.

#29     Jun 19, 2013
  10. In my opinion, you should not be learning and developing a method by trial and error with real money.

#30     Jun 19, 2013