I am doing ok, but where is the up side?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by master718, Aug 2, 2005.

1. landboy

landboy

I think you are sitting on a gold mine waiting to be tapped. You basically have financial backing right at the firm, people would kill to know a rich dentist, you've done one better and actually WORK for some of Wall street's elite. If you are bored, get off your feet and ask your boss if you could bounce some of your ideas off him, I'm a lowly accountant but I'm constantly monitoring the markets, looking for new ideas. The opportunity will never just show up, you gotta grap life by the horns. Don't let your youth pass you, coz your past is a sunk cost.

throw some ideas at your boss, see if any of them stick, or ask them for more responsibility. The worse they can do is laugh at you, and then you'll leave anyways. Whaddaya think?!

#11     Aug 2, 2005
  2. Hey Landboy

Thanx for the response. I agree with you that I am at a good place right now and I have actually tried some of the ideas you gave. Unfortunately there aren’t enough programmers and quarts at my firm to take my ideas which are half formulated any further. Our firm only allows automated strategies, no manual trading. I also suggested we spread out and hire traders to trade though us because from what I have seen we have the absolute best custom build trading software out there. Regrettably my bosses consider that a dirty business and do not want to get involved. I can understand their point, they are making good money building automated strategies and do not need the head ache that comes with supporting daytraders.

Maybe it would not be a bad a idea to open a black box trading firm in the future. There are more of these then people realize, they simply keep things tight lipped because a black box firm doesn’t need marketing or make itself known to anyone.

#12     Aug 3, 2005
  3. You don't by anychance work for Quantlab LLC. do you? Souds exactly like the same operation.

Private msg me your Instant message name, I think we should chat sometime.

#13     Aug 3, 2005
  4. lol^^^. "call me so i can pump you for information about your firm's strategies."

#14     Aug 3, 2005
  5. "Duke and Duke always get the commission."

"But where are the clients' yachts?"

#15     Aug 3, 2005
  6. Stick it out and try to learn as much as you can. Understand the theories behind the owners automated strategies and how they relate to current conditions.

If you want to operate as a trader/hedge fundie you are in a great place.

It may be boring but if it is steady, profitable, and handles risk intelligently, its a great way to segue into market mastery.

Frankly, at 25, if you are well educated, making good money, have a good job in which you peform well, and don't get drunk too much, you have a good future.

#16     Aug 3, 2005
  7. You are missing a golden opportunity. So you are bored much of the day? In the spirit of NLP, "What can you do with a problem like that?" Watch the index markets. Talk to the quants about potential setups you see. Make an alliance with one (preferably a girl). Develop setups on the side (I'll bet the quants are bored, too.) Build up your cash stash, then go it on your own. That's what we hippies would have done in the same situation forty years ago.

#17     Aug 3, 2005
  8. Thank you for the positive responses, Albert Cibiades and dgabriel.

I guess like a lot of the people here I am just worried that my trading experience is not useful for anything but trading. Also not being a manual trader I have even less to fall back on. It pisses me off that in the current trading climate u either have to be a Phd or a master programmer. Unfortunately I am neither and this is why I see running my own trading group as the only good option since I know an intermediate amount about each aspect of the trading business but am not an expert on any single skill.

#18     Aug 3, 2005
  9. Laugh it up, hows ETG treating you these days, I wouldn't even think of casting a stone from a glass house thats already cracking. :p

#19     Aug 3, 2005
  10. master...

perhaps trading is not what you want to do albeit be in the trading world.

For example the owners of the hedge fund must spend all the 'hard work' raising capital. If you believe in your fund as much, you could be very happy being an equity raiser.

This is especially lucrative if you have a hedge fund with a solid record. The record does the selling you simply raise the capital.

Now to really give you an angle... leave the US. Go to Europe or Asia. Raising capital there is FAR easier than here in the States, especially for h.funds.

You could convince the owners of this postion by learning the appropriate languages, (rosetta stone is very good for this, the Peace Corps uses them) Negotiate a spending accont of some sorts and go live your life!

Why do I know this much? I did this myself in the late 80's and early 90's . Made enough to retire and now I trade to myself for further growth.

#20     Aug 3, 2005