I am buying 23 k worth of physical gold coins

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by bad feeling, Dec 29, 2007.

1. #51     Dec 30, 2007
  2. I was going to buy some diamonds but it turns out that they have a machine that makes them now. It takes another 2 million dollar machine to tell that there really diamonds but only man made.

#52     Dec 30, 2007
  3. you withdraw the money in small increments over time (your bank is watching you), go to the gold dealer , pay cash, no paper trail, hide your stash under a rock.

you have invisible untaxable wealth...

of course, i wouldn't do that since it's illegal..but ye know..just thinking out loud..

#53     Dec 31, 2007
  4. Same thing everywhere in precious stones.
    I was under the impression though, the synthetic diamonds were too small to be passed off as precious, mainly industrial grade use.
    Same with most carborundums, ruby, sapphire etc.
    Even synthetic opal is good these days, it may only have been natural coloured glass to begin with, but sure took 'em a while to figure out how to make it.

Diamonds-your going to sell them to who, a diamond dealer?:D

Likely off topic though.

#54     Dec 31, 2007
  5. I am sorry but this whole discussion about buying gold/silver in case of a doomsday situation is just ridculus. Basically the idea of buying gold/silver from what i read based on the discussions is that US dollars will lost enough confidence/value that it is no longer accepted by the public.

The day the us dollar is not accepted in this country, it means the entire country (and most part of the world) has collapsed. Believe me if that happens, gold and silver will no longer have any meaning either. As someone said, a semi automatic and some bullets or the physical goods themselves will have more value then.

And if your argument is buying gold to hedge against inflation, there are MUCH BETTER alternatives than the 18th century approach of gold in a lockbox.

#55     Dec 31, 2007
  6. I'm with newguy05.

#56     Dec 31, 2007
  7. hey look here, you are probably right, but what part of 20 k means nothing to me did you overlook, and again I will say I won't pretend to be such a smart ass, I want to have some gold too

#57     Dec 31, 2007
  8. Some people on this board have suggested because of the potential for confiscation of bullion if a gold standard ever returns, you might wish to hold semi-numismatic PM's instead.

While bullion might be legally again made confiscatable, numismatic coins may remain allowable due to historic issues of scarcity, collectibility, and artistic & historic value (although grading and premium over spot can cause their own problems, as well as selling to a collector's market which can be volatile in its own right). Holding bullion might turn you into a criminal in such a setting - which might be a convenient reason for you to be carted off and your assets siezed c.f. 1930's germany. Hiding anything in this society is impossible, anyway. Probably not worth the likely criminal charges. Jewelry also exempt but too high a markup.

As an alternative, what about platinum or even palladium bullion? Palladium is probably so under the radar that it wouldn't legally be challenged, although it is still a largely industrial PM so price fluctuation is likely. Taking it to another extreme, would you ever hold raw metals? Some of the rare metals are WAY expensive, but good luck selling them... anyone else have thoughts on this besides the propeller head who reccomends tellurium? I'm not really interested in his advice.

What about diamonds? I thought the diamond machine could only make yellow ones. Liquid market for cash in any country & probably a tight spread (20%) due to the cartels.

#58     Dec 31, 2007
  9. this thread is hilarious.

if you want a hedge against reasonable levels of inflation, buy the gold etf.

if you want a hedge against hyperinflation and potential destruction of the united states of america and total collapse of the global financial system, buy the bullion (and bottled water, canned goods, a generator, and propane for winter).

by the way, the doomsday theory, while unlikely, is not that absurd. throughout history, powerful nations and empires have come and gone, what makes you think the usa or any country today is any different? and when those previous countries collapsed, gold remained valuable. it is a perpetual standard.

#59     Dec 31, 2007
  10. That couldn't be more wrong, sorry to tell you. I am not one who believes the collapse of the United States is imminent. However, if such a thing occurred and the US dollar was not accepted, gold would become exchangeable for goods and services just like paper money (just like it is now, right?).. Gold is a worldwide store of value and it has been for what... is it all of recorded human history? Close to it? Nothing is going to change if this or that country goes under.

In 1999 they were saying that the end of gold as a store of value had arrived. It was a 'new paradigm'.

Nothing new under the sun.

#60     Dec 31, 2007