I am buying 23 k worth of physical gold coins

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by bad feeling, Dec 29, 2007.

1. JSHINV

JSHINV

I agree with Anek. With futures and/or ETFs you have an instant market. Also with futures and some ETFs you can hedge gold with options. I have some gold futures, but I have some hedge on them with options. I can liquidate at any time. Even though gold is now around $835, there is nothing to say it couldn't drop to $700 in a short period of time. For you that would be over a $3000 loss on some hard asset sitting in a safe deposit box, while you're waiting for a world wide financial colapse. If that kind of loss doesn't bother you and you feel strong in your beliefs, then you are the one that has to make the decision. No advice or judgement from me. Only presenting alternatives. You may be right and everyone else wrong.

#11     Dec 29, 2007
  2. Gold futures or ETFs are just paper. It's all fine and dandy now, but a fiscal crisis starts emerging, none of those contracts will be honored.

The Gold futures market is smth like 50 times the size of the actual physical supply. It's just IOUs from speculators.

#12     Dec 29, 2007
  3. subban

subban

Why not just buy gold futures or options instead of buying actual gold?

#13     Dec 29, 2007
  4. subban

subban

Forget my question, I just saw Hydro's previous response.

#14     Dec 29, 2007
  5. JSHINV

JSHINV

You could be right. Who knows. This idea of a fiscal crisis is not new. About 30 years ago, my father bought a bunch of gold coins and put them in a safe for the reasons being discussed. Thirty years later, they are still sitting in that safe.

If you got a situation where "none" of those contracts are honored, you've got financial armaggeden. Could it happen? Anything is possible. But, at that point you have to wonder if it would be safe to leave the house, go to the bank, get your gold coins, find a place to exchange them for what you need and in doing this would you be able to come back alive.

#15     Dec 29, 2007
  6. 11Blade

11Blade

I think if there was real financial armageddon, even the gold would be worthless only food, fuel, goods and medicine would have value :)

the only need for gold would be medicinal, industrial and chemical. (and of course in goldshlager?sp)

:)

#16     Dec 29, 2007
  7. If you are really serious about buying gold look for PAMP suisse bullion. They sell large size bullion also.

http://www.pamp.com/main.htm

Akuma

#17     Dec 29, 2007
  8. Parabola

Parabola

I would suggest reading Alas, Babylon.

You speak the truth 11Blade.

#18     Dec 29, 2007
  9. JSHINV

JSHINV

:) Maybe. But, throughout history there has always been a medium of exchange. Even so, can't predict -- at least I can't

Could happen. I don't think in my lifetime though. Hopefully not. Usually it takes a while for civilizations to crumble - usually centuries. Having a conversation with a friend recently talking about financial collapse. I asked him, "do you think a financial collapse will happen in the next 100 years?" He replied, "No." I then asked do you think I financial collapse will happen in the next 1000 years. He replied, "Yes." Then I said, "Well then, it is only a matter of when." I tend to agree if it happens it is decades down the road.

I can't live my life with a survivalist attitude. It is kind of a waste anticipating the bad, when no one knows what and will happen.
    Not saying you are advocating this -- or anyonne else is.:) But, I've known a couple of people who were survivalists and they wasted their time, money and in some ways their lives.

#19     Dec 29, 2007
  10. Check out www.tulving.com

The problem with owning "paper gold" is that its not real, and you will likely get shaken out on a dip. You won't get shaken out with coins, and they will always be 1 oz of gold each.

#20     Dec 29, 2007