I Am Being Blackmailed. Help.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by freealways, May 6, 2003.

1. Over the last few days I have had unwanted pop-up advertisements appear on my computer screen which are put there by a mob having a website called www.destroyads.com.

They are causing their advertisement to continuously pop up and then they have the hide in their advertisement to suggest to me to visit their website where they suggest that I should buy their software to stop this kind of thing re-occurring.

This is totally absurd and akin to blackmail.

YES, THIS IS AKIN TO BLACKMAIL

Imagine someone sneaking into your home and then telling you to pay up or else I will continue to make a nuisance of myself.

Does anyone know whether I can get some action out of some government 'consumer protection type' department ?

Is there perhaps a lawyer on this site looking for some class action work ?

freealways

2. Ain't you gotta firewall?

3. Yes, of course do I have a firewall Canmdletrader. I have got Zone Alarm and there is no way that they can get into my computer via a port.

They must have sneaked in when I visited some website.

In their spiel on their website they do appear to imply that they are a part of Microsoft (which I do not for one moment believe to be the case).

This is what they say : >>You received this message due to a built in feature that Microsoft included in Windows XP, 2000, and NT. <<

Thanks Bungrider, I am actually aware that there are several programs available to stop this but that isn't the point.

There are of course also pop up advertisements which appear when I visit Debka File site. I don't mind these as I get information from that site and these advertisement no doubt pay
    to keep that site going. Also their advertisements are small and only appear when I close down the site.

This mob however do not give me anything in return, are not discrete as their advertisement pops up at anyone time, sometimes several times AND they are in effect blackmailing me having the hide to expect me to pay them to stop annoying me.

They are crooks and should be stopped dead in their track.

Isn't there some government department which can take care of them ?

freealways

4. free,

That is outrageous. Contact the Federal Trade Administration, they may be able to do something.

ps. I am constantly amused by the assholes who spam me to buy anti-virus s/w. Like I would ever download anything from a shithead spam site.

5. If you run Zone alarm together with a pop up blocker program, none of that shit should be able to get through.

6. Pop-ups suck :mad:

7. Bsulli

Bsulli

This is what they say : >>You received this message due to a built in feature that Microsoft included in Windows XP, 2000, and NT. <<

Niether Ad aware or zone alarm will prevent the problem you described above because the problem is that you have the windows service called "Messenger" running on your pc. Goto control panel, double click services icon, double click on the service called Messenger and set to disable. It is a part of the RPC processes running in the OS.

The problem is port 135 and it ack'ing back because the Messenger is running and zone alarm will allow it to pass thru because it's apart of the OS called "Services and controller" You can port scan on 135 and it will not show up however if a spammer simply sends an RPC message to that port on your IP address it will show up as a pop up on your screen and it isn't html based so pop blockers won't see it.

I'm not talking about MS MSN Messenger IM product I'm talking about MS service called Messenger.

I can go into much more detail if need be but I'm sure you get the idea.

Fwiw

Bsulli

8. nitro

nitro

Nice tip!

On Win2K, got to control panel, and click on Component Services. Then hilite Services(Local) and find Messenger there. You will need to have Administrative rights to stop it and change the default setting to manual.

nitro

9. Those using hardware-based firewalls and especially NAT routers should be de facto protected from this without having to disable the Messenger service.

Software-based firewalls running on your computer directly connected to the internet (i.e., without a router) would be succeptible to this nuisance.

However, you shouldn't disable the Messenger service if you're on a corporate or similar LAN because that service makes it possible for the system administrator to send alert messages.

If you're on a corporate LAN and getting these messages, you should alert your system or network admin so they can take necessary steps to block them - they should be able to block RPC messages to port 135 (although, why they're not already using NAT on the corporate router would be interesting to know).

#10     May 6, 2003