I am afraid of these NEW kids traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Illuminated One, Oct 5, 2007.

1. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JcRT9PhDhtc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JcRT9PhDhtc&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#31     Oct 6, 2007

2. I agree with you here. Kids are not getting smarter, they are just faster and better at a few things that we cannot do so it appears they are geniuses. Like games or computer skills.

Grab one of these geniuses and tell him to put together a business plan and stick to it. See what you get.

They are way more spoiled too. George Carlin said it best when he talked about "protecting the children". If you haven't heard it, you should.

When I was growing up in the bronx we used to play wolf-tag on the roofs of buildings. 12, 13 years old and jumping from one roof to another. Or playing in abandoned buildings. I have many serious scars from those games. Nowadays a parent freaks out and won't let kids cross the street by themselves.

And the school system gets easier every year. The kids have to pass minimum requirements or the schools get into trouble. So instead of taking the hard route and teaching the kids to think, they teach them how to take tests so they can pass with a higher grade. is that making them smarter?

The other thing that pops in my mind is an old quote that is still very true and applies to every expert or genius, "Nobody knows what you think they know"

#32     Oct 6, 2007
  3. "Grab one of these geniuses and tell him to put together a business plan and stick to it. See what you get."

They can't even figure out there cell phone bill (okay too hard? how about effort to pay for it?). Well, let's give them props on "how to use it" but that is about where genius ends.

#33     Oct 6, 2007
  4. Actually the average IQ is increasing with 3 points for every 10 year or so. The scoring system constantly has to be adjusted to keep the average score at 100.

Computer games are partly used explain the increase. At least this is what Im being told at the university. Maybe im just being served lies.

#34     Oct 6, 2007
  5. OMG TSNF. I GTG

:)

Generation Myspace is hopeless..

#35     Oct 6, 2007
  6. What really gets me is the little snots know how to use the system to their advantage to control adult behavior of all things.

My nephew is a real good kid now, but his mother spoiled the crap out of him. When he was little, he would intentionally irritate me, swear at me, call me names, no respect at all. The mere mentioning of just Asking him to stop and behave would result in him saying he would call the cops.

When I was a kid, I never even imagined disrespecting my uncles.

Too many kids today have no drive, no ambition, no desire for big dreams in the distant future that take time to develop. They want everything right now that's easy to get. They might not have much of a life, but they got something right now to distract them from making sacrifices and working hard to have a better future. All time is play time. They have no vision, no dreams to change the world for the better, a lot want to change the world for the worse actually.

What's better, high SAT scores with no ambition, and folds under the least amount of labor, or a mediocre tester with high ambition and a goal achiever?

#36     Oct 6, 2007
  7. Yes, you are.

How does Halo help you intellectually?

#37     Oct 6, 2007
  8. lol quake 1,2 and III was the games I played.

Fast strategic thinking is a must. Timing stuff etc. Knowing how ur enemy moves. Have a visual image of the map is important.

After playing lots and lots of hours a weird kind of intuition develops.

Many parallels to trading also.

Emotional control is important.

#38     Oct 6, 2007

9. I don't think I would take that as gospel. The IQ tests are constantly being "updated" its not the same test that was given years ago. Which is good because the original versions of the test were used to show that waspy people were more intelligent. It was given to immigrants and supposedly proved that all the immigrants from certain parts of europe were much smarter than all the immigrants from other parts of the world.

The standard IQ tests measure your logic-math skills. there are many other types of intelligence that are not measured. So basically you could be at the retard level in logic-math but be an absolute genius in other areas.

Then there is the whole idiot-savant thing. Are you going to seriously tell me that one of those idiot-savants that can multiply 40 digit numbers in his head in a split second, but cannot feed himself or tie his own sneakers is smarter than you are? I doubt it. But i bet he aced the IQ test.

#39     Oct 6, 2007
  10. #40     Oct 6, 2007