I am a US citizen but plan to live in Europe and travel around for a few years.

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by invortex, Aug 31, 2019.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Just call those states (WY, TX) because some states in the past 10 years have changed their qualification rules for residency.

You'll need to live there (pretend you live there with the help of a trusted friend that resides there) but I do not know how many months to qualify.

wrbtrader

#11     Aug 31, 2019
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

The one I posted you do not.

#12     Aug 31, 2019
  3. invortex

invortex

I have no problem paying my federal income taxes and corporate taxes if any. But I won't have a state of residence, I guess? So no state income tax. And if I get a mailing address in an income tax free state like TX or WY then they won't care where I am living. My question is is it that simple?

#13     Aug 31, 2019
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I traveled, traded and lived abroad after college and the military in the U.S.

Lived the longest in Portugal, Brazil, South Korea, Japan, France while a citizen of U.S. and France.

Find yourself a good tax accountant (a young one) in the state you will be a resident that understands the U.S. treaties tax law involving expatriates because the U.S. has treaties with some countries that will reduce or exempt you from taxation...assuming you're paying taxes in the country your traveling/living/trading from.

Also, keep backup of all of your tax info online in which you have a close family member or friend that has access to the info too just in case something happens to you while your abroad but not able to do your taxes.

P.S. Keep a low profile while abroad and traveling especially if one of those countries you'll be living in is Cuba. :D

wrbtrader

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    #14     Aug 31, 2019
  5. invortex

invortex

So I could technically live in Spain for 90 days then go to Portugal for 90 days then back to Spain?

#15     Aug 31, 2019
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Correct...I'm a resident of South Dakota even though I don't live there. I maintain my residency there via family members help...lived there in the summers with family.

wrbtrader

#16     Aug 31, 2019
  7. No you cannot. Please read again carefully. The 180 day is a ROLLING window and also the jurisdiction for visa and immigration purposes is SCHENGEN not an individual country. Within any 180 day window you can stay a Max 90 days in Europe but exceeding this you need to leave Europe. So, you can't just leave Europe for 1 day and then come back and stay another 90 days, but you can come back 1 day later and stay for 1 day as you will again reach the 90 days within the past 180 days

#17     Aug 31, 2019
    wrbtrader likes this.
  8. ESgambler

ESgambler

I was told repeatedly by my tax accountant as well as another CA accountant that I don't have to pay any taxes during those years that I claim non-resident status while living abroad. I'm not a US citizen and I've no investment inside my country and therefore, I don't need to pay any tax at all in my country, including any profit gain from my Futures account with a US brokerage firm. I'm still not sure about this and I wish what they told me is true.

#18     Aug 31, 2019
  9. You are not a US citizen nor resident. Then you are not subject to US taxation. Period. By the way if you hold a green card then you ARE a resident for tax purposes and must pay American federal income taxes even for income derived abroad.

#19     Sep 1, 2019
    ESgambler likes this.
  10. Your remarks are too generic and don't specify which country/countries are involved in your situation. Each country sets its own set of laws and rules for their citizens and residents, so it depends on which countries' rules appy to you.

#20     Sep 1, 2019
    wrbtrader likes this.