I am a US citizen but plan to live in Europe and travel around for a few years.

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by invortex, Aug 31, 2019.

  1. invortex


    I will not be living in any country more than 5 to 6 months, same with when I come back to States. I won't be living in any one state for more than a few months. How will my taxes work? Will I only pay federal taxes?
  2. Robert Morse

    Robert Morse Sponsor

    You have no legal residence in any state?
  3. invortex


    I guess not anymore. I will be leaving the state I am in for good and never shall return here!! I would like to form a Corp in Wyoming or SD or TX. But I won't be living in the US.
  4. jpmswiss


    The long arm of the IRS will follow you wherever you go.
    SteveH likes this.
  5. Hittfeld


    Welcome to the world of FATCA
  6. Hittfeld


    And if you mean to live within SCHENGEN-AREA you`re required to register with local (sometimes police) authorities and yout stay per countries is (without proper permits) restricted to 3 month per year.
  7. Not true, here is the correct length of stay for American citizens:

    Americans can stay in the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days within an 180 day period.Many people get confused when it comes to the 90/180 rule. But, the rule is very simple. The 180-day period keeps rolling. Therefore, anytime you wish to enter the Schengen, you just have to count backwards the last 180 days, and see if you have been present there for more than 90 days throughout that period. Any stay longer than 90 days requires a residence permit.

  8. Robert Morse

    Robert Morse Sponsor

    My sister did this. You only have to visit the state to get your Driver's license and voter's registration, I'm told.
    vanzandt likes this.
  9. mm2mm


    can i join you ? you will be taxed same shit as where your oegal residence is.
    SteveH likes this.
  10. invortex


    I will be paying federal income tax no matter what country I visit/live. But I am trying not to live in a taxable state and so claim residency in an income free state like WY, TX and wondering if I even have to to live there for any amount of time.

    If I stay in a country longer than 3 months, I will have to get a special visa or some sort, but will have to pay taxes there if I am not working in that country? I trade by profession
    #10     Aug 31, 2019