I am a new guy, how much do I expect to lose before I make it

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by doublef, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Billions :-}

#21     Nov 3, 2009
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

How much you got?

#22     Nov 3, 2009
  3. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Your not asking the correct question because it depends.
    I would spend time learning and studying first maybe 6 months or more before even taking a trade. I would also purchase a backtesting platform like TradersStudio so you can test ideas out.

Also what are your expectations for income, if your happy with 10%-15% a year you will lose less than trying to make 30% a year.

#23     Nov 3, 2009
  4. I am a relatively new single contract NQ trade. I agree with the gentleman quoted below absolutely. Survive and lean and over time it is possible to prosper.

This does not mean you should cut your winners short or trade in other non-productive ways but it does mean you need to play for small steaks.

#24     Nov 3, 2009
  5. 'small steaks'... reminds me of a Philip Larkin quotation 'the years up to 40 is the fillet steak of life, those after are the cheaper cuts!

#25     Nov 3, 2009
  6. I stand gently yet accurately corrected ... lol. And here I thought you only a seafood expert. Nice quote and frequently accurate.

STAKES ....

#26     Nov 3, 2009

7. Depends what market ur talking about. ES has made sum beautiful moves lately.....

#27     Nov 3, 2009
  8. No kidding, the last week has been awesome for intraday ES trading. First half of Oct was rather slow I thought.

#28     Nov 3, 2009
  9. I lost a lil over 20K(trading ES) before I ended up consistently in the black. But I admit I was trading too much size for my exper level when I first started trading live.

lesson learned.............

#29     Nov 3, 2009
  10. 'only a seafood expert' Great!:D

#30     Nov 3, 2009