"I Am A Market Maker"--The Quote

Discussion in 'Options' started by riskfreetrading, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Well, still. They should have planned ahead and managed that risk by being younger so they could compete on price, fewer in number so they could all get jobs, and less skilled so they would be applying their entire skillset.

Because delta and gamma hedging (where the risk is staring you in the face and all you have to do is manage it) is exactly the same thing as stopping an inevitable revolution in your industry (whether or not you see it coming).

The irony is not lost on me that an entire profession of risk managers was effectively rendered obsolete by improvements in risk management technology and increased access to better risk management tools.

I mean, I'm glad the result is tighter markets for us retail guys, but still.

EDIT: Meh, a mod ninja'd me and has clearly had his fill. Delete this post if you want, I guess.

#41     Feb 6, 2008
  2. left floor in 2003...i know some...the ex paine weber and merrill guys and gals...one used to work for me...IMO

sorry about the inference...hard to tell...ip's were close

#42     Feb 6, 2008
  3. bellman

bellman

Let's distinguish between real market makers, those who provide a constant bid and ask which requires great skill and some risk, from those who used to really rack up on wallstreet matching orders and skimming the overlap as risk free proffit. Their should be thanks given to the former and disdain towards the latter.

#43     Feb 6, 2008
  4. They're nice guys and they do a good job for us. The cost of executions has fallen so much makes me think about all the fat that was in those costs back years ago.

My office is in the Philly Exchange building and I chat it up with some floor brokers when I see them and they all tell me how tight the costs are and how hard it is for them these days. We dont do any business in Philly.

Again sorry bout my posts I just get a kick out of the smugness of anonymous posters, I'll tone it down.

#44     Feb 6, 2008
  5. Chi , xflat is defiantly legit…
    I personally find this thread interesting ( some new info for retail trader like me) , but if you must…

#45     Feb 6, 2008
  6. thread is fine...just not the constant posturing from "those who must not be named"...

#46     Feb 6, 2008
  7. 8. The douchebag on ET.

#47     Feb 8, 2008
  8. LOL. Have you ever thought about installing a "douche bag filter" for the search function? That way we'll only get the threads where quality stuff is being discussed. I know there is a stereotype that women blabber a LOT but likewise some men on this board can also type pages of stuff which is just plain baloney. Sorry, it's just annoying to see some troll jumping on a thread and talking BS for like 15 pages. Sometimes I am in the middle of a really interesting thread which is raped by some retard, and I don't feel like reading the rest anymore.

#48     Jun 25, 2008
  9. 9. jak hersshey

[i know... i spelled it wrong... I just don't want him to come in here and post 18 pages on how he's the best of the best]

#49     Jun 25, 2008
  10. the market makers today are a computer program software.

#50     Jun 25, 2008