"I Am A Market Maker"--The Quote

Discussion in 'Options' started by riskfreetrading, Feb 4, 2008.

1. the penny's just dropped, is that you CYOF/BULLDOZER? you really are nuttier than a chinese chicken salad

#31     Feb 6, 2008
  2. H*Pi

H*Pi

Yes, RFT is Bulldozer from T2W forum.

#32     Feb 6, 2008

3. does he trade "risk free"

surf:D

#33     Feb 6, 2008
  4. H*Pi

H*Pi

No, he sells puts on homebuilders! Many similarities, including his common, "I'll tell you where to place stops"

#34     Feb 6, 2008
  5. the market really attracts a cast of characters, doesn't it?

surf:D

#35     Feb 6, 2008
  6. Sorry fella, but it was you who showed up here with the attitude, smugness and thinly veiled insults. As for me, I just picked up with it and encouraged you to continue with them for the purely selfish reason of entertainment.

I guess my sarcasm went unrecognized. I am not a former sanitation worker, but I knew you would not be able to resist commenting on it. I do commend you for not dipping quite as low as I expected with that comment.

I believe my thoughts about “weakness” on an internet board are very clear. This board is part of the vast wasteland which the internet can be. At times it’s populated by internet bullies who hide behind screen names and toss insults or empty brags for the sole reason that they’re looking for the respect which they so richly feel they deserve in the real world and don’t get. I don’t waste my time with empty bragging or back patting. I do, on the other hand, enjoy encouraging others to do so for my selfish reason of entertainment.

You also picked up on all the insults of others and parried them immediately, then went on the attack with them as well. Let the record be clear on that.

Lets call a spade a spade, you’ve NOT taken the high road. In addition the simple fact that you feel its time to “clean this place” and implied you both had the ability and the right to judge what’s clean or not clean is the low road in my opinion. This place is what it is, and no single person is going to make it anything else by insulting others.

Have a wonderful day,

Jim with a J

#36     Feb 6, 2008
  7. riskfree- one reason that not all market makers have not become computer traders is that there is a different skill set required. someone that made option markets on the floor for years would need the software capabilities to make option markets and some don't want or have the financial need to do so.

electronic market making firms may also want to train younger market makers also.

not everyone will make the transition nor should all of them be mocked by you for not doing so.

#37     Feb 6, 2008
  8. h h you make an excellent point. You'll notice that not only are there far fewer MM's on the equity options floors these days, but the ones that are there are much younger then in times past. Obviously they come at a cheaper price then an experienced MM, then again they’re not asked to manage like a MM used to.

Take a firm like Susquehanna who once populated the floors with vast numbers of market makers. They’ve adapted and paired their staff down to a fraction of what it once was on the floors. Global centralized risk management brought about by better real time communications and electronic access to the markets has helped them cut expenses in the form of staff tremendously. The volumes on the exchanges have continued to rise are a torrid pace so the large MM firms are doing more volume with much smaller edge with lower expenses. Of course payment for order flow in its various forms has also changed the landscape. Either way all the big firms have been forced to change their business model, the art and science of trading is continually evolving. My grandfather was an NYSE … oh never mind, I don’t want my dead grandfather insulted here … for 50 years he retired 35 years ago he’d be shocked if he were alive to see what the NYSE looks like these days.

#38     Feb 6, 2008
  9. i should not get involved but i was a m/m and floor broker on the cboe in the oex for years...

i was able to learn a lot...i worked for firms and was independent for years...

what i did learn was humility and people like riskfree here are whiny little pricks...i should be above name calling but i can't help it...

dear riskfree and your buddy or alter ego xflat...i can't confirm as xflat has a dynamic ip adress...please jump off a bridge or go back home to mom...

you are wasting eveyones time here...

you are on the verge of being deleted...

your friendly moderator chiguy...:)

#39     Feb 6, 2008
  10. Chi,

My apologies for being a pest here. I am not riskfree for the record. We do a lot of business on the CBOE do you know the guys from X-FA ? they fill our paper there.

#40     Feb 6, 2008