I am a deflationnist...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SNBthetrue, Oct 19, 2010.

In-De-Flat ???

Poll closed Jan 27, 2011.
  1. inflation is good

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. deflation is good

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. flat is better !

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Visaria

Visaria

Norway's inflation rate over the last 500 years:

http://www.norges-bank.no/templates/article____14010.aspx

"There have been long periods of price stability:

* Prices were generally stable in the period from 1630 to 1700, rising by an average 0.3 per cent per year.
    * The longest period of price stability was from 1842 to 1914. In this period, prices rose by 0.6 per cent annually."

If Bernanke and side kick Geithner were around then, they would have destroyed Norway.

#51     Oct 20, 2010
  2. 1. Quickly changing technology has nothing to do with inflation or deflation.

2. Food is essential for survival...of course people will buy it no matter the cost.

You need to think these things through before posting.

A simple economics 101 book at Chapters will inform you properly.

#52     Oct 20, 2010
  3. Those people won't have a job anymore. How do you purchase a house or car with no job?

Again, think of the big picture. It's not as simple as "prices are lower so everyone can afford more things! This is great!"

#53     Oct 20, 2010
  4. You have no clue what you're talking about.

#54     Oct 20, 2010
  5. 1. Wrong. Of course yes, it's called commodity inflation/deflation opposed to monetary ones.

2. Nope, the cost is too high for more than 1B people on Earth.

I will say it simply... How do you think that workers will be able to compete against ...

Robots... ???

Where is the trading floor of the 80's ?? Where are the factory of ford ? Where is the archiv dept ?

Work as you conceived it, is going the dodo way... sorry ^^ time change, even for slave masters...

Please think about the big picture... look at what industries are making money, and one which side they are...

#55     Oct 20, 2010
  6. #56     Oct 20, 2010
  7. Visaria

Visaria

Quote from Visaria:

My teenage nephew was of the same opinion. Told me we were in a recession because house prices were going down. Basically, he equated rising prices as a sign of prosperity and vice versa

Um, no. I'm quite sure that is what he said and meant.

:p

#57     Oct 20, 2010
  8. :D

#58     Oct 20, 2010
  9. Visaria

Visaria

With regard to point 1: I was referring to the price of goods and services, not quickly changing technology.

With regard to point 2: Not true. A diagram showing demand and supply curves (see the simple economics 101 book at Chapters for more information) will quickly demonstrate that people will NOT buy food at any "cost".

You may wish to think these things through before posting further.

#59     Oct 20, 2010
  10. Survival of the fittest. Adapt or die. Robots taking over for human jobs...this is not new. Has been happening for decades. Somehow people still find work. What do you suggest? Stop technology from advancing? Stifle productivity? Accept it as an inevitability. If machines are taking over your job, you need to retrain in a new field, simple as that.

Do not fear the robots...embrace them.

#60     Oct 21, 2010