I Am A Complete Novice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mike firestone, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Speaking of Golf, I can hit the ball 300 yards. Just not straight...:eek: Can you say LOOK OUT?!?!

To the new guy with the questions: This isn't a skill that you can pick up in a few books, and just start raking in the $. I wish it was that easy.

I also wish I could give you advice that would make you a success. Only you have control over your success. I think that begins with "chewing one piece at a time." The old saying, "how do you eat an elephant" is appropriate, as it's just what I said: one piece at a time. If you try to chew the entire thing at once, you'll choke and die.

I wish you the best, as do most of the folks on this board. Btw, if you do find the magic bullet, please e-mail that to me. I'll stop taking my Nexium (the purple pill) everyday.:D Just kidding. Good luck to you.:)

#21     Dec 8, 2006
  2. thank you for the entirely unhelpful advice that didn't answer any of the questions I posed. I have to say that after reviewing a whole bunch of posts on this site it seems as though at least 25% of people are condescending douche bags. Or maybe that's just me.

#22     Dec 8, 2006
  3. You did not pose any questions since you only have one post and that was it. As for douchebag.... pot meet kettle...

#23     Dec 8, 2006
  4. sorry for the typo in my previous post. I meant to say "the questions mike f Posed" still seems like most of you are douche bags.

#24     Dec 8, 2006
  5. You could start trading in a simulator. That´s the fastest way i believe. Think risk/reward untill you master it.

#25     Dec 8, 2006
  6. spinner

spinner

The good news is that you have found this marvelous site. Despite the intermittent nastiness, there are lots of laughs and some serious professionals willing to share and teach.

The bad news is that the experiences of this novice ("locked in mortal combat") are more common than not:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...117&perpage=40&highlight=odyssey&pagenumber=2

Becoming a trader is extremely difficult -- but it is possible. Keep both in mind.

I sincerely wish you much success. (One of the wonderful things about this business is that despite it being a zero sum game, the competition is not so direct that my success precludes yours or vice versa.)

#26     Dec 8, 2006
  7. I'm sorry you feel this way. I looked through my two posts in this thread, and gave the best advice I could with all the respect possible. I like to see others make it, and took time out of my day to post the advice I was once given when new to the business. So, I hope you weren't meaning me when you made the "douche bag" comment.

I've been a broker long enough to know that acting on emotion is a true killer. In your case, the emotion you displayed in your posts represents you as someone who will part from their money quickly. Not to mention the fact that calling people trying to help, a "douche bag" isn't conducive to making the right kind of friends who's advice you WILL need at times...

Again, I love to read through this board, as there's some really cool stuff that can be learned right here. I took the time out of my day to post some advice from the heart.

I'm a prior Marine (that's been...well, almost two decades ago), and was taught respect that's really helped me in my business. I have three Son's, a wife, and four dogs who have reaped the rewards of my having enough respect to LISTEN to others, rather than call names. I don't drive a Ferrari, but make a very good living as a Broker, and RIA. If you'll dump that emotion, maybe you can do the same for yourself, your family, and be a respectable member of this board at the same time. I'm not even going to bill you for that advice! Just hope to change your attitude, emotion, and see you succeed. I hope this advice sinks in for you, as the markets can be a cold place to be without friends with good advice...

#27     Dec 9, 2006
  8. not referring to you. primarily KevR and optionscoach.

way too many condescending, arrogant A-holes on this site for a newcomer. maybe, if I ever find out actually how to go about learning how to trade someday i'll come back.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people derive such pleasure out of saying nasty things when they can do it from underneath the comfortable cloak of anonymity.

not just talking about this post either. this one is not too bad. overall, just too many obnoxious people here for me.

#28     Dec 9, 2006

9. Welcome to the investment/trading world........
    Welcome to politics/corporate world......
    Welcome to subconscious aggression/competition....

Welcome to the real world......

Hmmmm........Great thing that I have learned.......thanks to my small ethnography project........

Traders/Investors have seniority complex.....Hmmmm....fascinating

#29     Dec 9, 2006
  10. hilarious, u call people douchebags and u expect to be treated with respect, man get bent.

#30     Dec 9, 2006