I always seem to sell too early.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by invortex, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tip: Stop doing that.

#41     Feb 3, 2018
  2. ironchef

ironchef

I know most elite traders advised you to let the profit runs and cut your losses early. But as a non elite retail trader, I find that very difficult, here is a retail mindset:

Unfortunately human nature tends to go the opposite way, a fellow retail swing trader has a system similar to yours, hunts for 52 week low stocks and places his bets. He took small profits but also tight losses and actually did well.

The key is small profits and tight losses: Stocks after 52 week low tend to rebound some (death cat bounce) and then reverse. If your profit/loss ratio is positive (profit exit > loss exit) your overall results = profits even if win:loss is 50:50.

Don't know if I make any sense so I welcome comments from others.

Good luck and regards,

#42     Feb 3, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    Makes perfect sense;
    good way to lose money , buying GE @ 52 week lows. Could work buying real estate @ 52 month lows, but plenty of stocks go from 52 week low to goose egg[00.00] Value investors[ a small group ] can make money some, buying lows:caution::caution:

#43     Feb 5, 2018
  4. %%
    NOT a prediction; she most likely preferred profit makers, rather than those taking her profits. LOL.

As long as the commissions dont take away profits,OK by me. Great point ,J9999,hard to get hurt [ pronounced '''hert'' ],taking a profit; especially on weekly charts.:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:,:cool::cool::D:D

#44     Feb 5, 2018