I always seem to sell too early.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by invortex, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ugh! You said it
    Need to unload 10k shares of MDLZ that were acquired for an average price of 44.8 and 1k shares of SPG, avg price of 200! Ouch!

#21     Jan 28, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Go futures, you won't have that pain, because you'll never be able to get into that situation to begin with. :)

#22     Jan 28, 2018
  3. maxinger

maxinger

For demo trading,
    trading is
    99% technical,
    and 1% mind / money management

For live trading,
    trading is
    99% mind / money managment,
    and 1% technical.

Presuming you are ok during demo trading, then you should focus your attention on the mind aspect. As long as your conscious mind is not functioning in tip top condition,
    and your subconscious mind is controlling you, very difficult to earn $.

#23     Jan 28, 2018
  4. nickynoes

nickynoes

It's very easy to go broke taking profits, if you take small profits and large losses.

#24     Jan 28, 2018
  5. mbondy

mbondy

Why don't you quit waxing philosophical and just give the guy something of substance that he can actually use.

#25     Jan 28, 2018
    truetype and vanzandt like this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

I don't know, if I were you and have a system that consistently gives me a profit, eventually it will all add up and become big profits. You need patience and be satisfy with a winning method.

You can always experiment with a different method, but should do it in parallel and not give up what gets you here.

Best of luck to you.

#26     Jan 28, 2018
  7. drcha

drcha

I'd suggest trying to define your rules a little more tightly. Re-examine and re-test why you think your system will work, using an array of different rules for selling.

Although some stocks are simply in an industry that is in a downturn and will ultimately recover, some stocks will never come back. They aren't making 52-week lows for nothing. Do you have a rule for identifying and avoiding the stock or selling in such situations?

#27     Jan 28, 2018
  8. ET180

ET180

No disagreement there. I understand that was your main point. But also pointing out that one should probably be more diversified than 1 stock unless they have a lot of control over the company or know information that the rest of the market does not know.

#28     Jan 29, 2018
  9. d08

d08

We're in an insanely bullish market, it doesn't matter all that much what you buy if you diversify, you'll make money.

#29     Jan 29, 2018
  10. tomorton

tomorton

Well this is generally true, but if anyone can find a stock that's showing a 52wk low after more than 10 minutes of any January in any of the last 8 years..... what the heck's wrong with it?

#30     Jan 29, 2018