Hypnosis Anyone?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pabst, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Who here has been hypnotized? For what reasons? Did it help? How could hypnosis help in trading? Anyone with experience in sports psychology? Anyone tired of a thread that starts with 6 questions? Oops thats not a fib number, need two more. How about NLP? Meditation?

2. There are essentially two types of hypnosis. One, often times known as stage hypnosis, is like when the hypnotist tells you to cluck like a chicken, etc. Useless, as far a being a vehicle for change. The second type, Ericksonian hypnosis, can be extremely useful for changing beliefs, creating useful emotional states, and many other things. You can be hypnostized, but it far better to learn how to do this to yourself. Hypnosis is nothing more than being in an altered state. An example of hypnosis is standing in line at the bank for two minutes, but feeling like it's been two hours. That's an altered state. Much of what Tony Robbins does at his fire walk seminars (yes, I've done it, it's real, and it's cool) is related to altering states and beliefs. I would say the current state of the art in therapuetic hypnosis is being developed by Richard Bandler, one of the original founders of NLP, which is based largely on modeling Milton Erickson, among others. Learning these techniques and what they can do is incredibly interesting, not to mention what you can do with them. I wouldn't know where to begin telling you more, if you have questions, ask away. I've studied this quite a bit, and apply the techniques on a daily basis. I would strongly suggest books by Richard Bandler to start your research. There is a lot written, but in my estimation, Bandler is light years ahead of anyone else. His accomplishments are mind boggling. I truly believe that 100 years from now, he will be one of a handful of people perceived as a leader in the area of human development. I've personally witnessed and experienced what he can do, it's scarry.

3. Pabst

Pabst

Thanks bundlemaker. I'm checking out Bandler's web site. i'm sure I'll have questions for you.

4. Cesko

Cesko

I've personally witnessed and experienced what he can do, it's scarry.

Can you elaborate little bit?

5. spectre

spectre

I'm curious too. Tell us more bundle.

Techniques to enhance emotional control and ingrain effective belief systems might be worth investigating further.

Somewhat skeptical from first impressions of his site but am still looking at a bunch of Bandler titles, which would you recommend to start with.

6. I looked up Richard Bandler on amazon's search and I found several different books. Can you recommend a good book to start off with? This subject interests me, and I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

As far as sports psychology, I've seen one for about a year. We worked on visualization, and kinda like what was mentioned earlier... being at a certain state of mind.

Andy

7. and was the first one kicked off. The hypnotist created an image in our minds of an ignition. When the key turned over, our hands came together involuntarily. Some guys were on the floor they were pressing their hands together so hard. My hands came together really strong and it freaked me out. I had to make a VERY deliberate decision to tear them apart. I did so and was asked to leave the stage. I'm glad 'cause it was the BEST show I've ever seen.

Obviously this isn't the kind of hypnosis that you're looking for, but based on this experience I have NO doubt as to the authenticity of hypnosis.

Watch the swinging pocket watch... you're getting sleepy.....

8. Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm going to be really busy for the next day or two, at which time I'll respond here and to the pm's. Quite surprised by the interest.
    Regards,
    Bob Hoffman

9. Some of the more "interesting" things that Bandler teaches/demonstrates about hypnosis is age regression (people will actually change physical attributes like skin tention and color), removal of life time phobias, elliminating things like dyslexia and studdering, getting rid of math anxiety, improving spelling, there is no end to what you can use these techniques on. Keep in mind now, I'm not talking about hypnosis in a vacuum, I'm combining various NLP and "design human engineering" concepts.

The foundation of real change is the understanding that there is no sucess or failure, there is only a result. The question is: is it a useful result in a particular context. All results are useful sometimes in some places. NLP and related concepts are designed to expand your choices and to put you in control. Hypnosis is NOT about losing control, it is about having complete control, especially regarding what your level of awareness is and where it is placed.

Books to start with? Try "Using Your Brain For a Change", "Hypnotic Patterns of Milton Erickson", "Frogs into Princes" and Tony Robbins first book, "Unlimited Power". Much of that book is based in NLP.

When NLP was first developed, the idea was to model people who were the best at what they do, and extract the vital strategies (not the usual meaning of strategy, it is a reference to the syntax of internal representations to produce a certain result) so that anyone could duplicate the results. Along the way, what was discovered was the way people code their experiences in a subjective manner. The random bits of stuff in your brain is nothing more than representations of previous experience. You attach various meanings (some useful, some not) to these representations. The truth is, it is possible to attach any meaning you desire to any representation (or memory) you wish to. Unfortunately, we are conditioned to believe that representational meanings are fixed. This creates tunnel vision, stuck patterns, bad habits, etc.

If you're really into learning more about hypnosis, look for Bandler items on Ebay, often times you'll find videos of old seminars. They are, shall we say, intriguing.

Hope this gives you all a start.

Oh, one last thing. I'm not here to try and sell you on any of this stuff, but for those of you who are skeptical, remember: the world was thought to be flat (and you were killed if you didn't agree), we were sure that electrons and protons were the smallest particles in existance (and now physisists don't even know for sure what matter is), and had been told that it's impossible for new brain cells to develop. Of course, I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I don't know about you all, but I'm leaving no stone unturned, and I'm sure as hell not going to base what I do on what the masses do. That should sound a familar tone also.

10. sherif24

sherif24

Ha good point; I will look forward to hearing more about your experiences. Interesting subject for sure.

#10     Oct 1, 2002