Hyperthreading is sweet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axeman, Mar 24, 2004.

1. sweedy. good cho

#41     Mar 26, 2004
  2. this review seems to favor the AMD 64, unless I'm eading it wrong....http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114546,00.asp

why not spice it up even more and add a apple power mac g5 (also 64 bit) to the mix! http://www.apple.com/powermac/

#42     Mar 26, 2004
  3. Yes it favors the AMD chip, but that article SUCKS compared
    to the other articles I have read which went into a lot of
    the benchmarking details.

I dont trust their SINGLE nebulous benchmark number.
    I have 20+ other benchmarks that show the opposite results.
    Including benchmarks specific to the type of processing I do.

The techies who did the more in depth benchmarking seemed
    a lot more competent than the guys in that article.

peace

axeman

#43     Mar 26, 2004
  4. I'm sorry, I believe that I mispoke when I stated a couple of threads back that the Dell's on the Dimension 8300 at 3.0 and 3.2 are Prescotts. They are most likely Northwoods.

Anything that has 512kb of cache is a Northwood, and the Prescott versions are the ones that carry L2 caches with 1MB and L3 caches with 2MB. These are the latest Pentium 4 microprocessors that are just now being released.

Northwood processors = 0.13 micron process

Prescott processors = 0.09 micron process

Hyperthreading occurs on all of the above as long as there is an 800 Mghrz front side bus. Some older Northwoods run on a 533Mhz front side bus like the P4's at 2.8B

So, Intel uses a B designation for their Northwood processors with a 533 MHz front side bus, and a C designation for Northwoods that run on a 800 MHz front side bus. Both of which get an L2 cache of 512k.

The E and EE designation is for the new Prescott processors with a 800 MHz front side bus that get the L2 cache of 1MB and L3 cache of 2MB.

:)

#44     Mar 26, 2004
  5. In any case.... I doubt you can go wrong with either the
    newer P4 or AMD chips.

Especially the newest P4 and AMD FX chips. They are neck
    and neck.

I would love to test an AMD though. The P4 hyperthreading
    really makes a usability difference.

I would like to see how an AMD feels when you spike it 100%.

peace

axeman

#45     Mar 26, 2004
  6. Right now, I have the Northwood P4 at 2.60 on my Intel 875P chipset board in my Dell Dimension 8300.

I think that I am gonna purchase the Northwood P4 at 3.0C for $226.00 at www.newegg.com

This way I will get the Hyperthreading and I will stay away from the new Prescott microprocessor at .090 microns which from what I have heard in many many reviews, runs super hot!

Besides, Tomshardware also says that the Northwood still kicks ass in most applications vs the Prescott as long as it has Hyperthreading.

#46     Mar 26, 2004
  7. nitro

nitro

#47     Mar 26, 2004
  8. just21

just21

Axe, How would it compare with a scsi 320? I have to make the decision about wether to go scsi or raid sata. Seems a lot cheaper to go for raid sata.

#48     Mar 26, 2004
  9. I doubt we'd ever need 64-bit CPU, it only doubles memory space, not speed. I think 32-bit with 4G memory is good enough for tradeing softwares.
    For the heat issue, is water cooling going to become the standard?

#49     Mar 26, 2004