Hyperthreading is sweet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axeman, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Yeah they can run pretty hot, but the P4's have
    some NICE built in intelligence.

The chip actually slows down as its temp rises so you
    cant burn it out. Nice safety measure.

Ive heard you can even run a P4 with NO fans, including a CPU fan
    and you wont destroy it.

An AMD will burn out in seconds without a fan.

Ive been running two heavy backtests in parallel for the
    last several hours and monitoring the temperature.
    Cant even get it into the YELLOW zone.

Cool technology. The mother board has 3 temperature probes on it
    which you can read with intel software.
    My PC case also has a digital thermometer on the front which gets
    up to 104 degrees if I push it hard :D

peace

axeman

#31     Mar 25, 2004
  2. PC World Magazine shows results that indicate that AMD's Athlon 64 (FX-51 and not the upcoming FX-53) chip still outperforms Intel's latest Prescott chips:

Intel P4 at 3.2E "PC WorldBench 4" Score 131

Intel P4 at 3.4EE " " 134

AMD 2-GHz Athlon 64 at 3200+ABS Score 139

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114546,00.asp

#32     Mar 25, 2004
  3. Not a very informative article. Whats this number represent?

The previous charts I posted are more detailed and have
    several types of benchmarking.

Here are two other benchmark graphs for CPU and MEMORY,
    which is what im most interested in.

The P4 wins again.... however, the FX-51 is SMOKING.
    It beats the P4 in other categories, mostly graphics.
    But my stuff is cpu and memory intensive so the P4 is a better fit.

peace

axeman

#33     Mar 25, 2004
  4. And here is the memory bench mark

peace

axeman

#34     Mar 25, 2004
  5. Toms hardware guide summary:

Summary: The P4 3.2 EE wins 32 times, the Athlon 64 FX-51 15 times - an uncertain 64-bit future for AMD

After four weeks of strenuous uninterrupted testing, sleepless nights, unending phone calls, innumerable updates, tiresome conferences and lots of back-and-forth with the manufacturers, the results were clear: Thanks to its ideal configuration and use of the best components, the P4 3.2 in the Extreme Edition (actually a Xeon labeled 'P4') wins the performance crown.

peace

axeman

#35     Mar 25, 2004
  6. Are the 3.2 ghz dells with 800 mhz DRAM and hyperthreading, the prescott's?

I thought the prescott chips had a full Gig of Cache but all the dell's on the website seem to have the 512 cache?

If they are not the prescott's can someone comment on the difference and if it makes sense to wait another 3-4 weeks.

I'm in the market over the next 30 days and I mean the next instruction set, mhz, etc. is always around the corner but I don't want to buy the week before something slicker comes out.

A month.....yeah that always happens, LOL. I just don't want my Dell to be in transit when CNBC is talking about the 4ghz or whatever shipping the day after mine.

:p

Anyone want to comment. Dell does seem to have some pretty nice deals going, and I"m suffering from the same backtesting problems as others in that when I'm runing a backtest my cpu is pegged. I can barely open an email when its busy optomizing some strategy.

thanks.

#36     Mar 25, 2004
  7. Yes, the Pentium 4's at 3.0 and 3.20 on Dell's site on the Dimension 8300 are indeed Prescotts with a 512K L2 cache AND HYPERTHREADING. However, they are basic P4's when compared to the "E" and "EE" versions that just came out from Intel last month.

The Intel P4 Extreme Edition (EE) supports Hyperthreading AND 2MB of L3 cache.

The Intel P4 (E) supports Hyperthreading AND 1MB of L2 cache at speeds of 2.80E, 3.0E, 3.2E, and 3.4E.

These processors are based on Intel's next generation 90 nanometer process technology vs the 0.13 micron P4 that I have on my P4 at 2.60 Dell Dimension 8300 bought back in July of '03.

All of the above are based on Intel's 875P chipset (motherboard)which includes an 800 Mghrz front side bus, including the model that came with my Dell 8300 back in July.

The only Dell Dimension that I believe uses currently uses an "EE" Extreme Edition processor is the Dell Dimension XPS, which Dell calls their "gaming" computer.

#37     Mar 26, 2004
  8. fleance

fleance

This is a good website for building quiet pcs.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Checkout the Forums. Lots of discussion going on how to silence your PC. I posted some questions on the Newcomer's forum and got lots of good suggestions.

#40     Mar 26, 2004