Hyperinflation

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Bestmiler, Nov 12, 2008.

1. zdreg

zdreg

thx for intersting statistics instead of that dribble from portl385 that "Jim Rogers is a clown"

#21     Nov 14, 2008
  2. It's quite simple.
    The FED engages in monetary operations such as "matched-sales" to take money out of the system.

#22     Nov 14, 2008
  3. jprad

jprad

Only happens if the US continues to print money after everyone else stop printing.

Right now everyone's presses are running full-tilt, so it's a net wash.

#23     Nov 14, 2008
  4. jprad

jprad

Huh?

Matched-sales drain the Fed's reserves.

They're the reverse of a repurchase agreement, which is used to increase reserves.

#24     Nov 14, 2008
  5. zdreg

zdreg

interesting theory if everybody destroys their currency together there is no inflation.
    who is chief proponent of this wisdom?
    it makes sense if all men from all nations jumpfoff the cliff there will be no more wars.

#25     Nov 14, 2008
  6. TraderD

TraderD

net wash currency wise - yes,
    but commodities will rise.

and as far as continuing printing money...it appears to be a policy thing. They knew about all the problems with lending and hosing. But kept rates and regulation policy's the same. Now policy is to bail and inject cash...

Look, they (gov) appear to be dumb, but they really are not:) They do have access to best research, but choose not to listen to it based on immediate political or personal interests.

When I talked to WAMU loan officer in 2006 and he told me that he was giving huge loans to families which can't really afford it. Then he said that he himself would not get such house, while making twice as much as that family. If I, they guy from the street, knew that, they (gov) did as well. But kept going - once the policy is adapted, it just rolls...Now, we see the show. They look for reasons and act surprised.

So, US inflates, creditors and people loose part of their investment, but the party keeps going. And foreign creditors will forgive as they did before, it is just part of the game. And many steps of the game are known in advance.

My take today.

#26     Nov 14, 2008
  7. clacy

clacy

I agree with most of what you said.

In this case much of the rise in commodity prices will be mitigated due to demand destruction early on. Once the wold economy starts rolling again, due to easy money, then inflation kicks in???

#27     Nov 14, 2008
  8. Exactly what I think. All countries are wanting that right now. Market wants it, too.

#28     Nov 14, 2008
  9. jprad

jprad

Oil, which is a finite resource with declining reserves, is down over 65% from it's all-time high.

That was a speculative bubble and it went on long enough to create demand destruction. It's going to be quite a while before we see $140/bbl again.

You're right, our debt-based monetary policy requires the printing of money to service existing and newly minted debt.

But, that has nothing to do with the abject malpractice that went on in the mortgage lending business.

The driver there was loan origination fees to the underwriters and sales commissions for the structured instruments that Wall Street created and sold everywhere.

Which is exactly why we are where we are today -- printing money everywhere to keep banks solvent.

Don't kid yourself, the average Congress-critter is immeasurably stupid, yet smart enough to look out for the interests of those that can keep them in office.

There's two kinds of government research; the kind that gets money appropriated like NASA or the DoD, and the kind that's done forensically, after some policy goes tits-up in the worst possible way.

One requires intelligence to comprehend, which is what keeps the lobbyists in business -- to tell Congress what it means, the other is used for CYA ops by Congress.

#29     Nov 14, 2008
  10. The problem is that the money they are handing out isn't getting lent to anyone, so as a result the "sterilization" increases the rate of deflation.

To add injury to that insult, we the taxpayers need to pay interest on borrowing the money, and if it doesn't get repaid, we are stuck with the tab.

Deflation and depression or Hyperinflation, take your pick. Either is a sad ending for what once was a noble nation.

#30     Nov 14, 2008