HYPERINFLATION VS DEFLATION

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Moderate, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Opulence

Opulence

Peter Schiff makes a great point about why deflation needs to occur and why it would actually benefit our economy. We all know that our level of inflation is artificially high because, for some reason I don't understand, the govt and The Fed sees rising inflation as a sign of progress. So, prices are high for no fundamental reason whatsoever.

www.youngandopulent.com

#31     Oct 30, 2012
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

Is the problem deflation or the mechanism they use to "solve" it namely QE?

#32     Oct 30, 2012
  3. Opulence

Opulence

In my opinion, deflation would in fact be beneficial. I do believe QE and low interest rates are the problem. Only thing I can see happening as a result is stagflation.

#33     Oct 31, 2012
  4. There is a BIG reason why the government supports inflation... because it LOOKS like growth.... if you don't look too deeply.

GDP is based upon the final price of goods and services. If prices are inflated 5%, looks like "5% growth" when there really was none.

Yes, they calculate an "offset for inflation", but they fudge it to be less than it really is.

More government "lipstick on the pig".

:(

#34     Oct 31, 2012
  5. Totally agree. The question is: what will the equities and commodities markets do as a result of this ?
    1) hard down
    2) slight down
    3) agonizingly sideways

Certainly at these levels there's little upside.

#35     Oct 31, 2012
  6. First I must admit Ed, that I find you difficult to read. Perhaps that is because we come from different views. That's great though, I can learn from you.

I would like to know what you mean by private credit in the above quote. Are major banks and the FED private credit agencies? Are you implying that the FED policy was correct but 'joe publi'c screwed it up by not increasing their debt? Do you have a graph of something that is deleveraging currently?

#36     Oct 31, 2012
  7. Opulence

Opulence

That's exactly what I was hinting at: the govt seeing inflation as growth. LOL

#37     Oct 31, 2012
  8. Opulence

Opulence

Man, its so uncertain that I'm not even in the markets at the moment.

#38     Oct 31, 2012
  9. morganist

morganist Guest

I made the same decision back in 2007 when this all started off. Even if you have a good idea of what is going to happen all you need is a goverment or central bank to make a competely stupid decision and it throws any kind of logical sense out of the window.

Now the markets are unpredictable for two reasons the general fluctuations in the market and decisions governments and central banks make. It is double the uncertainty there is no way to predict things.

#39     Oct 31, 2012
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Do either of you two guys who are arguing here allow for the possibility that the collateral held on the Fed balance sheet may have been mispriced, priced way too low that is, when they acquired it? If so, is it possible that Bernanke and company will have the last laugh when 20 years from now they turn out to be geniuses.

#40     Oct 31, 2012