Hyperactive

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brandonf, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Toni and I signed and took classes to become foster parents and have gotten our first children. They are a brother and sister pair that get along extremely together...but they are always hyper. Is there anything anyone can recommend for a 6 year old boy and 7 year old girl.

Brandon

2. No, but a million contrats!

I was a respite foster parent for a couple of years and greatly admired and appreciated the "full time" foster parents...

Hats off to you.

3. I think nearly every parent has this problem with children from time to time. When my two children were young, I thought that I found a very simple solution to it.

Whenever one or the other would start acting up at inappropriate times, I would just take them by the hand, put them in the back yard and tell them that they couldn't come back in the house till they settled down. This solution worked every time, in only a few minutes and was particularly effective when it was very cold outside.

One day my son came home with a pack of cigarettes. I told him that he was going to have to help us move his bedroom furniture into the garage because if he smoked, he wouldn't be allowed to sleep in the house. That nipped the smoking thing in the bud. He turned 40 this year and still doesn't smoke.

I think you have to use your wits with kids. Loosing your temper, scolding or corporal punishment is the worst action that you can take.

regards

4. One other comment: I know a lot of the foster kids were on Ritilin, etc. I'm sure you've heard, but these are very powerful drugs and are very controversial. I know some parents felt this was the only solution, but I would go into it with "eyes wide open".

5. nitro

nitro

Frst, congratulations.

Enroll them in lots of sports and wear them out. Be careful for sings of exhaustion though. Usually, you don't have to worry about that with young kids, but keep an eye out for signs of it...

That is what we do with my daughter...

nitro

6. Babak

Babak

You might want to consider alternative medicines like homeopathy and Bach remedies. Good luck!