Hydroxycloroquine is Back

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by apdxyk, Jul 31, 2020.

1. JSOP

JSOP

I dunno. To me vaccine is a more complete solution. I mean why treat it when you can prevent it? (That will certainly make Iron Man happy. At least we are trying to be prevengers and not avengers. :D) But yeah I can see the merit of having therapeutic medications approved for the time being. I mean it's not like it's really going to take the market away from the vaccine research companies. Once the vaccines are here, the treatment drugs won't be needed at all or at least in an extremely limited setting.

#51     Aug 2, 2020
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

That has nothing to do with the facts and data he presents. Attack the data, not the person.

Now why researchers still waste time/money testing HCQ alone is beyond me. It is their time, but anytime when I read about a negative outcome I say, no shit Sherlock.

The only correct answer is that there is little money to be made from a not patentable Zinc's and a decades old cheap drug's combination. But that questions all these researchers' moral obligation and motivation.

What is really surprising though, why the seemingly white knight Fauci doesn't push simple, cheap and safe prevention/early treatments??? How hard it is to say, take vitamin D for prevention and when you notice symptoms, go heavy on Zinc+EGCG?

#52     Aug 2, 2020
    apdxyk likes this.
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Did not know there's clinical trials only on HCQ for Covid-19. I thought all of the clinical trials have been on HCQ in combo with something else.

As for Fauci...don't know much about him but he does push heavily for citizens to wear a face mask, washing hands, social distancing and follow the recommended re-opening guidelines for the states...the latter...most states did not follow the guidelines and re-open too soon.

Further, after re-opening...most still made it a political statement instead of a health crisis statement about wearing face mask, washing hands and social distancing. :rolleyes:

Regardless, its a face mask wearing, washing hands, social distancing are very simple / cheap alternatives to pushing therapeutic drugs and you did not need to put anything in your body nor cost the economy trillions of dollars. :D

Also, there's clinical trials going on around the world and most of them have nothing to do with the politics in the U.S. or debates between politicians versus health officials...these clinical trials are closely being monitor now by the U.S.

After the results are release by those clinical trials in the next 1 - 2 months by pharmaceuticals...you're going to see some heavy promotions / marketing of these therapeutic treatments.

There's too many people becoming dependent upon the potential therapeutics and potential vaccine instead doing what's needed to prevent the problem in the first place.

P.S. I watched videos yesterday of multiple people from California, Texas, Arizona and Florida with people saying its a violation of their rights to be asked to wear a face mask during a Pandemic. :rolleyes:

Good luck to them when they need to be hospitalized or someone they care about needs to be hospitalized after they've infected that person. Also, they better have A+ health insurance because hospitalization bills related to Covid-19 are very high.

P.S.S. Now imagine its a hurricane off the coast or a tornado warning in the mid-west...they give evacuation orders and people refuse to evacuate because they say its a violation of their right to stay where they stand with a hurricane / tornado bearing down on them.

Ooops...some people actually do refuse to evacuate. :D

That above is the reality of countries with socially irresponsible citizens. Just do the right thing in the beginning...its simple / cheap or bear the consequences (much more expensive).

wrbtrader

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    #53     Aug 2, 2020
  4. virtusa

virtusa

Register their identity and ban them from medical help if they go to the hospital.

They can also see the following as a violation of their rights:
    • speed limits
    • have to stop for red lights
    • have to pay taxes
    • have to go for military services
    • etc...
    Every law or rule has an impact on your rights. Without laws or rules a peaceful society is impossible.

#54     Aug 2, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Strongly agree.

I was thinking the same thing along that line when the other day I had to slow down when driving thru a school zone.

I said to myself...will I be ignorant and not slow down because its a violation of my rights because I want to drive above the speed limit or do I slow down so that I do not get a speeding ticket and to minimize the risk of hitting a child.

People need to be very careful with their common sense involving a Pandemic that has already cost the economy trillions of dollars and +150k deaths.

Yeah, I strongly agree...without laws or rules a peaceful society is impossible and very difficult to keep citizens healthy / safe.

Also, people need to be very careful about what they say on social media and TV because medical insurance companies are paying attention and documenting what's being said by those that eventually do become sick (hospitalized).

A prelude to what will happen to schools that will re-open and say they've taken all the precautionary measures to keep it safe...
    Teenage staff not wearing face masks and indoor gatherings without proper circulation (windows were closed) seems more intentional instead of a health mistake. Some of those children are not in the care of their parents but in the care of their grandparents that have custody...Brainless

The issue to me is not how many kids tested positive for Covid-19. It's how many of those kids have parents or grandparents that they're living with...someone with an underlying medical condition or worst doesn't even know they have an underlying medical condition (e.g. high blood pressure, heart disease, overweight but didn't think they were overweight, cigarette smoker).

P.S. Florida will soon be hit with a Hurricane. That's something they can see and feel. It's not like a virus. I'm willing to bet that those crying about wearing a face mask will not be crying when told to evacuate.
    Then again, I could be wrong and they will stand their ground because its their right.

wrbtrader

#55     Aug 2, 2020
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

The deniers (not following guidelines) first get in the way of preventing the spread.

While the American "solution" in modern times to anything health related is .... a pill.

#56     Aug 2, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

That's one of the reasons why health insurance is so damn high...just give me a pill and leave me alone.

wrbtrader

#57     Aug 2, 2020
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

There's billions of dollars in therapeutics drugs and about 1/3 of the USA population and global population do not believe in vaccine...the anti-vaccine crowd exercising their rights.

Therapeutics is the lifeline of pharmaceutical companies. They prefer to create drugs first before creating a vaccine. In fact, its very rare to see a vaccine created before creating therapeutic drugs.

In the case of Covid-19...we now have therapeutic drugs and one of them recently approved for use here in Canada.

So much simpler / cheaper to just wear a face mask, wash hands and social distance.

wrbtrader

#58     Aug 2, 2020
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Hydroxychloroquine Is Not a Key to Defeating COVID-19 | Opinion
    JON ZHOU , DOCTOR OF PHARMACY
    ON 7/30/20 AT 7:30 AM EDT

Everyone understands the urgency to control the COVID-19 pandemic. Recently, there have been arguments claiming hydroxychloroquine is the solution to control this pandemic, in the form of published opinion pieces and online videos. As a pharmacist, I study everything about drugs, write treatment guidelines, practice evidence-based medicine and serve as the last line of defense between drugs and patients. I strongly disagree with these claims. In fact, these claims are working against our efforts to defeat COVID-19.

When we evaluate data in clinical settings where patient care and health interventions are present, we need to examine the quality of the data. We look at whether studies were designed and done well, and we update ourselves with the most recent data. What we have been calling for is randomization and control. Randomization assures each individual has an equal probability to be in any group, and that groups are as balanced as possible. Control reduces the influence of factors outside of what we want to study.

On July 15, Oxford University reported in a randomized and controlled study that hydroxychloroquine did not reduce 28-day mortality after randomly allocating 1,561 patients to receive hydroxychloroquine and 3,155 patients to receive standard care. On July 23, The New England Journal of Medicine published a study of 667 patients, who were randomly given hydroxychloroquine, hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin or standard care, with a 1:1:1 ratio. This study found that the use of hydroxychloroquine, either alone or with azithromycin, did not improve outcomes. Cardiac side effects, however, were more frequent in individuals receiving hydroxychloroquine. Other well-designed studies published earlier have all shown that hydroxychloroquine has no benefit in managing COVID-19. Earlier observational studies have also pointed out the lack of benefits and safety profile when treating COVID-19 patients with hydroxychloroquine.

Considering the replicable evidence from multiple studies showing no benefits but safety concerns, it is not surprising to see health authorities all around the world, as well as the World Health Organization, halt hydroxychloroquine studies and recommend against its use.

However, articles mentioned by those who support hydroxychloroquine cannot go through the same level of robustness and quality check. Some frequently cited studies, include Gautret et al., have been criticized for flaws and poor research design. Ninety-five percent of the patients in the Million et al. study had a low degree of clinical illness, and authors had no control groups or attempts made for comparisons. Another widely mentioned one was a Google Document made by Zelenko; his original online work does not exist anymore, but a screenshot of what it looked like did not present solid evidence at all. Some also draw conclusions from a study done in Brazil, available only in Dropbox and on WordPress. This work not only had no formal research design, but did not even confirm whether enrolled patients actually had COVID-19. Many other studies used by hydroxychloroquine supporters should all be taken with multiple grains of salt because they are all poorly designed, inconclusive and outdated.

Back in March, when hydroxychloroquine first became a star, I wrote an op-ed to urge cautious prescribing and better quality data before affirmatively recommending any therapy. Four months later, I am reiterating the importance of evidence-based medicine and responsible health communication to the public, especially in the midst of a pandemic.

I do agree that this medication has been politicized. Politicians and political parties have taken advantage of uncertainty in this pandemic to gain political interests. This has been observed not only in the case of hydroxychloroquine, but in social distancing, masks and school reopening. We, as medical and public health professionals, promise to help the sick, do no harm, and rely on evidence. And that is exactly why we must stand against discordance and be meticulous about our comments to ensure the best quality of information and foster trust between the public and health authorities. We must stay united to serve the public and advise our decision-makers to walk the right path in a challenging time like this.

The keys to defeating COVID-19 are solidarity, leadership, transparency and collaboration. Hydroxychloroquine is not one of them, and wrongfully promoting this drug is not protecting our lives.

Jon Zhou is a doctor of pharmacy, a practicing health care professional and a graduate of master of public health/global health from Yale School of Public Health.

The views expressed in this article are the writer's own.

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-not-key-defeating-covid-19-opinion-1521463

#59     Aug 2, 2020
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Is there a doctor in the house. If so give the counter point to the previous posted opinion from a DOCTOR. Otherwise save it.

#60     Aug 2, 2020