Hydroxycloroquine is Back

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by apdxyk, Jul 31, 2020.

1. easymon1

easymon1

[​IMG]

June 30, 2011

This material is available primarily for archival purposes. Telephone numbers or other contact information may be out of date; please see current contact information at media contacts.

Viruses are the most abundant parasites on Earth. Well known viruses, such as the flu virus, attack human hosts, while viruses such as the tobacco mosaic virus infect plant hosts.

More common, but less understood, are cases of viruses infecting bacteria known as bacteriophages, or phages. In part, this is due to the difficulty of culturing bacteria and viruses that have been cut off from their usual biological surroundings in a process called in vitro.

Researchers from the California Institute of Technology, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, were the first to use a clever technique to look at virus-bacterium interactions in vivo, that is, within an organism's normal state. The researchers report their results in the July 1st issue of the journal, Science.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=120974

#41     Aug 1, 2020
  2. apdxyk

apdxyk

Both are the same, one is generic, the other is branded..

#42     Aug 1, 2020
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Agree

#43     Aug 1, 2020
  4. Oh, so COVID-19 is a bacteriophage now? This is 10th grade biology, did you even graduate high school? :D

Both my immunology and virology are VERY rusty (we are talking mid-90s when I read any biological research as part of my PhD studies) but from what I recall it was not very clear why some macrolide antibiotics have antiviral properties. It's most likely via both immunomodulation as well as induction of secretion in lung epithelial cells. IIRC, it all comes down to calcium-active chloride channel, but I don't recall much else and I am too lazy to read papers right now.

#44     Aug 1, 2020
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

I really don't get why this thing is still debated? We already had the data 2.5 MONTHS AGO!:

#45     Aug 1, 2020
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Maybe there's something wrong in his academic background / history that show's he's not reliable. Seriously, he could be another MD that talks about alien DNA in pregnant women in other videos (sick sarcasm). :D
    • I know MedCram is legit...some of the nurses at my girlfriend's hospital get education info from MedCram for their interns.
    Regardless, there's now clinical trials including better statistics about the demographics of the study.

Also, there's a lot of money involved. I wouldn't be surprise if there's some squashing going on about earlier studies so that the bigger well known pharmaceutical companies can get their own clinical trials going and get their own unique therapeutic package approved by the FDA.

wrbtrader

#46     Aug 1, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

West coast or NorthEast area university ?

After year 2000, more schools in the midwest and south offer those programs.

wrbtrader

#47     Aug 1, 2020
  8. JSOP

JSOP

That's what I wanted to point out. Azithromycin is the generic name that's really contained in the medication while Zithromax is the commercial name that labels the pill but they are of the same thing.

Well it makes sense if you think about it. When the virus reaches the lung, all the symptoms experienced are the result of infections in the lung and if Z pack is effective against respiratory infections then of course it is effective in controlling symptoms of Covid-19. And before the arrival of vaccines, this is really how Covid-19 is treated, controlling the resulting infections while giving the body a chance to develop immunity against the virus to ultimately defeat it.

#48     Aug 1, 2020
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah.

There's millions / billions of dollars being poured into pharmaceutical companies to develop a vaccine...less interest in therapeutics because of the money issue especially when HCQ is already known to help malaria patients and the government has already stock piled it.

In fact, a few of Pres. Trump advisors sit on the board of several companies racing to get a vaccine discover and to market.

In my opinion, the reason why the FDA has not approved these therapeutics for Covid-19 is that they're waiting for the vaccine to be discover (pharmaceutical companies make their money) and then they'll approve the therapeutics to work side by side with the vaccines for those not willing to take the vaccine...just my opinion about the money trail.

Canada is already taking heat for recently approving Remdesivir as a therapeutic treatment for Covid-19. It must have pssst off many companies in the vaccine research.

Therapeutics or vaccine is a safer route to herd immunity.

wrbtrader

#49     Aug 1, 2020
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

That is what we need yet more people taking antibiotics. Keep the cycle going. And big pharma rich and happy.

#50     Aug 1, 2020