Hydroxycloroquine is Back

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by apdxyk, Jul 31, 2020.

1. QT elongation causes V-tach in 1:10 patients and V-fib in about 1:500 patients (other EP problems like APCs are also possible) if I remember correctly (I did cardio EP research rotation way back when I was doing my PhD). Pretty sure there are preexisting conditions that make it more likely and I'd not be surprised if its the same comorbidities as for hospitalization/death from COVID19. There is a reason why reputable doctors did not jump on this idea, it's not like they prefer losing patients for political reasons.

#21     Jul 31, 2020
    ironchef and Cuddles like this.
  2. clacy

clacy

Here is a 2005 study (When Fauci was head of NIH), which claims that Hydroxychloroquine is a potent inhibitor of Coronovirus. Fauci and others have conveniently forgotten about this, although there is not nearly as much money to be made from vaccines and treaments, when there exists a very effective treatment which has been available for over 60 years and is OTC in many countries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

#22     Jul 31, 2020
  3. easymon1

easymon1

fouch.jpg

#23     Jul 31, 2020
  4. LOL. Did you actually read the paper or at least skimmed the abstract? It's an in vitro study.

PS. I want someone to verbalize a conspiracy theory why reputable medical doctors (plenty of them on both sides of political spectrum) have not supported HCQ as the preferred treatment for COVID-19

#24     Jul 31, 2020
    nbbo likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

Orange man bad

#25     Jul 31, 2020
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Usually reputable medical doctors (their companies) wouldn't spend 10's or 100's of millions dollars to test a drug via clinical trials if they truly believe there wasn't something there to explore especially when they also have historical documents involving clinical trials of the same drug in other illnesses of the past.

Exceptions are companies being paid up front by another company like pharmaceuticals / government to do the clinical trials to get evidence beyond lab rats. :D

Thus, they can not put their name behind something unless they have proof that can be publish in medical journals. Also, clinical trials show researchers what does and doesn't work in humans that cannot be learned in the laboratory or in animals.

In addition, you'll notice that those that advocate these types of drugs prior to the clinical trials...they are not one of the participants in the clinical trials and they have their own fears about the merits of the drug via the fact they tend to be under the careful watch of doctors...something most citizens can not do unless they were hospitalized.

Simply, you can not with good conscience promote something to the public until science supports the facts. Doctors definitely, can not do that because it opens them up to lawsuits if they are proven wrong and someone dies or develops long term illnesses...many well known cases involving class action lawsuits against Pharmaceutical companies the past several decades to promoted, sold and distributed drugs to the public while touting them when in fact they were harmful.
    • Some class action lawsuits have bankrupt companies.
    I see HCQ as a possible treatment but only after everything else has been tried. Most people do recover when everything else or something from everything else has been used.

Reminder, most promoting its use...they were taking HCQ prior to testing positive for Covid-19. President Trump is one of those people.

He stated multiple times that he was taking it while he was not Covid-19 positive. In fact, he stated he was taking it because a few staffers or security personnel that he had came into contact with someone whom came into contact with one of them that had tested Covid-19 positive.
    • Now imagine the hoarding that will occur if everybody was allowed to take HCQ when they were not even Covid-19 positive. :rolleyes:
    Regardless, within the next 1 - 2 months of clinical trials...they'll know what's true and not true. Too many reputable companies now doing clinical trials involving HCQ in combo with other drugs and vitamins should be able to set the record straight.

Whatever they find that works as an approved treatment...hopefully its affordable to all and not just to those that are wealthy or to those that have medical insurance.

I've heard rumors that HCQ is a very expensive pill to take. Yet, I think its one of the reasons why some governments have been stockpiling the drug to keep the cost down...I could be wrong about that particular issue.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    #26     Jul 31, 2020
  7. apdxyk

apdxyk

How many on this medicine get the QT elongation?

#27     Jul 31, 2020
  8. piezoe

piezoe

Z-Pak is Azithromycin, an antibiotic.

#28     Jul 31, 2020
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Will cure their clap as they die. Wheee!

#29     Jul 31, 2020
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Fauci mentioned in the House hearing today that there has already been a double blind study of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Covid-19. The results showed it had no beneficial effect.

At present there are only two FDA approved drugs for treatment of Covid-19 infections, one is a Gilead antiviral, Remdesivir (expensive). The other is a steroid, dexamethasone (cheap) used to treat lung inflamation. The latter is widely available. Remdesivir is supposedly being made available to all patients that are expected to benefit from it.

#30     Jul 31, 2020