Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Karma Yogi, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Tuneman

Tuneman

solar sucks also, they are so inefficent. none of these are long term solutions to energy. I'll bet my bottom dollar on that.

#11     Oct 15, 2006
  2. Hydroponics is big business in British Columbia, Canada. Lots of pot grow-ops that push the technology to the limits, the increased production using hydroponics is amazing.

#12     Oct 15, 2006
  3. My Vietnamese neighbor thinks hydroponics is the only way to go. He says he has made so much money in his hydroponics business. I ask him about his nice Toyota Land Cruiser on his driveway if that was a govt. grant--He says no but he got a real good on it because he paid cash.

#13     Oct 15, 2006
  4. Then how could they grow their weed for gawds sakes, if all the rooftop space is used up?

1,000 watt halides and high-pressure sodium setups in the basement... vented and cooled to avoid detection, no happenstance fly-overs busting the blatant rooftop garden :eek:

#14     Oct 15, 2006
  5. Jokes aside, Hydroponics is smart technology but not exactly scaleable. Think about it, you would need so much mineral inputs and controls that it cannot be economical when need to support large amounts of crops. The earth does it naturally and it delivers active nutrients, not dead synthetic ones.

It works great for Cannabis because cannabis is already a super plant. Really it's a weed, which are superior to regular plants in terms of survival, natural defense and nutrient requirements. Hemp & Cannabis aside, another super plant which is actually a weed, is dandelion. Look up its nutrient density, astonishing.
    Tomatoes are also strong plants, needing less than most. Their origin is a very toxic plant that had amazing suvival properties.

Hydroponics shows great results for these crops, ones already stronger & better than the rest.

The solution to the current crap produced by big corporate agriculture has always been multi cropping and biodiversity. Nature has its own balance of multi crops, pest and animals that is meant to kill off the weaker crops and support the stronger ones. It is even scaleable but not profitable & mechanical as commercial monocropping.

#15     Oct 16, 2006
  6. Reminds me of the quaint boat ride at Epcot with spinning lettuce

#16     Oct 16, 2006
  7. #17     Oct 16, 2006
  8. jj90

jj90

Am I the only one who gets this? Very subtle BTW.

#18     Oct 16, 2006
  9. I thought it was very funny indeed...

#19     Oct 16, 2006
  10. It is a very clever & funny post, it's just that a stream of jokes is expected from a "hydroponics" topic.

#20     Oct 16, 2006