Hussman Goat Rodeo (HSGFX)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Covertibility, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

If you've ever read anything by him, he attempts to beat the S+P on a rolling 10 year avg, if I recall. By that measure, he's doing just fine.

I agree with SpecterX above, and am not shocked at the myopic opinion of the OP (given his post history).

#11     Jul 19, 2012
  2. [​IMG]

So if the fund's share price is lower today than 10 years ago, it's doing just fine? Reading this site, one would come to the conclusion that the republican mind should be considered a disability.

Why does Tao post outside the religion and politics part of this site??? I take it he doesn't like me belittling his fellow birthers and whackjobs?? Now the birthers will have to investigate: Did the dinosaurs build Stonehenge?

#12     Jul 20, 2012
  3. I don't think the point of his fund is to make money. The real point of his fund is to lose money while other people make money with the assurance that losing money is the reward for being smarter than the blind monkeys chasing stocks. I know this sounds crazy, but some people are just that perverse. This fund would lose all rationale were it to actually make money for its investors. Where else are they going to be able to enjoy their misery with so much righteousness?

#13     Jul 23, 2012
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Please refer to one post or thread where I supported birther claims. I will understand if you cannot.

As for why I post outside of politics and religion, it is because I make trades and am interested in the trading part of this site. Here is a thread where I have active and historical trades you can see:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222652

Can you please refer me to your trading thread?

Lastly, why not look at HSTRX when you do your S+P Comparison? That is his Strategic Total Return fund, and his flagship product. I'm going to guess you avoided posting that because it didn't fit your agenda.

#14     Jul 23, 2012
  5. jsp326

jsp326

So the takeaway here is that

1) Hussman has beaten the S&P since inception. We'll see how the next decade or so goes. He's done better than, what, 95%+ of mutual fund managers?

2) Thread starter is a jealous moron with an agenda who has probably lost 40%+ over the last decade, buying tops and selling bottoms with the herd.

I love how this is posted under "Stocks," too. Maybe OP should take an Investing 101 class and learn the difference between stocks, bonds, mutual funds and ETFs.

#15     Jul 23, 2012
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

His returns aren't as bad. IN 2008 he was down 9% even though NAV was down 30% because he paid 20% worth of capital gains dividends.

#16     Jul 23, 2012
  7. I saw HSTRX last year and it looked like a bond fund, and looking at it now, it still looks like a bond fund. Comparing it with one of Pimco's total return funds, it basically has the same return. Punch up morningstar.com, type HSTRX in and you see the basic scheme, a good start but then either at or underperforming the respective benchmark for the past 3-5 year frame.

The whole point of managing money is to make your investors money, not have a fluke year or two and then underperform for considerable periods of time while writing tales of woe.

Here's another good one to follow : HSDVX - his dividend fund with a expense of 2.27%. Will investors even get any form of cash dividend after expenses??? I'm dubbing this the "I drink your milkshake fund."

#17     Jul 23, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I noticed you ignored my first two points. I will accept that as your concession.

As for Hussman, he has different funds for different economic times. Yes, his bond fund has done well. Personally, my 401k has been in bonds for several years now, simply because I don't want it in manipulated, inflated equity markets. From the numbers I'm looking at, that's been a pretty good stable gain thus far. Have I seen 45% returns? Nope. Oh well, I've been in the low double digits and happy to be so, insulated from equity lunacy in the interim.

I honestly don't get your point of the thread, and nor do many others it would seem.

#18     Jul 23, 2012
  9. joe9mail

joe9mail

Hello 007Arb, Are you still around? You are probably retired, by now. Just want to thank you for your book. Thanks again

#19     Oct 13, 2019
  10. 007Arb

007Arb

Unfortunately, I am finding traders never retire. There are always opportunities to exploit. This year it has been the beaten down mortgage mutual funds that got annihilated during the Black Swan liquidity crisis in early to mid March.

#20     Jul 3, 2020