Husband/Wife Trading Team

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by aeliodon, Jan 1, 2007.

1. I'm wondering how a relationship like this would work. Do you know of any relationships like this? What are the pros and cons?
    IMO investing/trading is an invaluable skill for everyone in a family to have as it is the only way to really protect you savings from taxes and inflation (provided you actually know how to invest/trade well enough to consistently beat the buy and hold S&P index benchmark with lower DDs).

2. It works great for us...We work in shifts...

And no! we are not for hire...we trade our own money :)

As for discipline..Wifey is better than I...I admit it...I am on the creative side...

Michael B. & Wifey

3. gaj

gaj

e savant - how do you handle if you both have down days / period of down days? is it the comfort of another trader, or...?

my wife doesn't trade, but understands some of the basic ideas (sell when people are buying, the crowd is wrong, she loved watching the 'cnbc effect' a few years ago). she has an idea when i've screwed up on my own part, or when something nutty happened (stock gets halted, trade doesn't act 'right', etc.).

it's nice that she doesn't freak out if i've lost X dollars, or had X losing days. then again, she knows i would never take risks to blow (house/bank account/etc.) up, so i guess it works both ways.

4. We trade retail spot Forex. I have found that there is a need for specific rules and I have actually found her input and questions helpful in my own trading during my shift...

Do not get me wrong...there is tempestuous times in paradise, but after being married for 20 years now, there is little we do not know about each other...

Bottom line...she can wake me during problems and the specific rules to follow, keep her out of trouble...

Now as far as my problems...well I get creative and am doing many things during my shift...spreadsheets...ET....Internet....I cannot focus as well as she does...

We had an issue once with me where some strange things happended during a long trade that was carried over to my shift that she entered...I moved my mouse on the screen and an early execution was made, without me clicking the mouse button...the actual movement of the mouse was interpretted as a click...we were arb trading a system at that time and it was critical with the timing...

Michael B.