Hurricane Isabel is bearing down ...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Sep 16, 2003.

1. I have a question and I hope someone here can answer this one. If this hurricane strikes the coast of Northern N.C. or Virginia, how many miles inland will hurricane force winds be felt?

I am concerned because I live in Bel Air, MD. The most recent track has the hurricane almost going directly over us. If this were to happen, what kind of winds and rain can we expect?

Many of the stores in my area and in Baltimore / Annapolis don't have any supplies left. People are starting to get a little on edge.

I'm getting a bit nervous myself. :(

2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Aphie,
    That far inland you would expect 60 mph winds at the worst. And a lot of rain. Basically stay inside and away from any windows. Take in anything you have outside that you want to keep.

Go to www.noaa.gov for information.

We have been through several direct hurricane hits. They are not as scary as the news media makes them sound. The worst part was losing power for days.

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

The Hurricane is the last thing you need to worry about.....Just hope a twister doesnt spin out of the hurricane's center. Hurricane Andrew had tornadoes spin out of its center with winds clocked above 230 MPH .....peace

4. Having been thru a few, it's not the wind, it's the floods that usually cause the biggest losses, lives sadly included.

If you can, check with your emergency services to see if you are in a flood prone area; if so, consider preparing for high water especially if the hurricane is moving slowly.

A rough approximation used by our local weather guy (Neil Frank, former Director of the National Hurricane Center) is 100/speed. That is if the hurricane is moving at 10 mph, then you should expect 10 inches of rain. In your part of the country that is a lot.

Good luck.

DS

5. Having been thru a few, it's not the wind, it's the floods that usually cause the biggest losses, lives sadly included.

If you can, check with your emergency services to see if you are in a flood prone area; if so, consider preparing for high water especially if the hurricane is moving slowly.

A rough approximation used by our local weather guy (Neil Frank, former Director of the National Hurricane Center) is 100/speed. That is if the hurricane is moving at 10 mph, then you should expect 10 inches of rain. In your part of the country that is a lot.

Good luck.

DS

6. T-REX

T-REX

Hey DUDE.

I happend to live in N. VA and I can tell you DUDE that PEPCO, BG&E and the like will have there hands full. Remember a few weeks ago we had strong T. Storms and we lost power to about 120,000 people. What will a hurricane do?????

Like the previous post.....Tornados are the worst in our area because it is so residential......not like Kansas & Nebraska.

:cool:

...........but we will survive. Just have alot of batteries for your flashlight.....and keep a battery powered radio near by.
    :cool:

7. I've been through a few and some real keys are:

1) stay inside...especially as the eye passes ( whish is actually calm but it only means the storm is 1/2 over....a lot of people get screwed ' running to the store for some things"

2) the next day stay out of standing water....after a hurricane in florida, ( irene) nobody died from the storm but three people died walking through water with downed power lines...

3) GARAGE....put your car in the garage and then back you car up to the back of the door.....most damage occurs when the garage gets blown in

4) Go to the store NOW and buy as much beer as possible plus some spring water....and go to the ATM NOW...( they don;t work if there is no power nor will credit cards... then fill the tub with water and a cup of bleach for dishes, washing ect..

be safe

8. vega

vega

Not trying to take away from the threatening weather aspect of this, but how do you profit from this possible catastrophe ? Short the insurers that have the most exposure to the region ? Buy crude and natural gas futures in hopes that the refineries are shut down due to lack of power and prices spike from the lack of supply in the pipelines ? Go long construction related companies, especially housing and stores like HD, Menards, 84 Lumber, and Lowes anticipating higher sales due to all the people buying supplies to protect their homes, and also to rebuild them post storm, go long lumber futures ? I know it's a little off topic, but I didn't want to start another thread so closely related.

MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING WRITTEN ABOVE--FOR THOSE IN THE POSSIBLE PATH, PLEASE TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION POSSIBLE, AND I HOPE THAT THIS PASSES WITHOUT AS MUCH HARM AS ANTIPATED.

Good luck all,

Vega :D

9. Wong Lee

Wong Lee

I predict this is going to be a dud.

Wong!

10. Maybe we should rename it Hurricane Wong lee then?????

#10     Sep 16, 2003