hunter thomson

Discussion in 'Politics' started by marketsurfer, Mar 11, 2003.

1. rs7

rs7

Fine post...really very descriptive of a guy who defies description. Good job, Mondo!

Peace,
    :)Rs7

#21     Mar 12, 2003
  2. yes, I also skimmed parts of his latest book, Kingdom of Fear...He had some interesting perceptions about our current times and felt that the title of the book was the best description of what is now taking place in this country...He also has great historical perspective and I really enjoyed his recount of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago when the police were turned into the enemy of the people. My uncle, who worked at the Hilton in 1968, also said similar things about that 68 convention...Everybody and anybody was beaten up by the police...It was just a free for all...They guarded all the entrances to the hotels, to any buildings at all...He(Hunter S) said after he witnessed that sort of brutality all he could do was cry...He sat in his hotel room and cried...He doesnt have too many kind words for the current administration either...calling them the closest thing to an "evil government" that he has ever seen...

#22     Mar 12, 2003
  3. What was that line from fear and loathing in LV?..

"There is nothing more pitiful than seeing a man in the depths of an ETHER BINGE.."

:D

#23     Mar 12, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

Yup, that was the line.

Funny thing (not really funny in a humorous way) is I have actually seen that happen. My next door neighbor's fiancee was an MD doing his residency. So he was not in Aspen most of the time. (Where we were living then). One time he blew into town and his new drug of choice was either.

Today, 25 years later, I am still friendly with his ex-wife. She (amazingly) lives a few blocks from me here in South Florida. And is one of my wife's best friends. SMALL WORLD! He is still an MD and still a serious drug abuser. Very very rich. Fucking amazing what some people can get by with. Just to survive it is amazing. To have a successful medical practice and fly his own airplanes.... defies imagination. Get's high with his 18 year old son. The mother is NOT PLEASED!

Peace,
    :)rs7

#24     Mar 12, 2003
  5. There is a great line in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's something like if you go up on a mountain west of Vegas and look towards SF you can see the high water mark.

#25     Mar 13, 2003