human elements and colorful pills.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by qdz, Dec 12, 2002.

1. why dismiss that part? Use it! It is an enemy inside your camp. Interogate it :), make friends with it. Analyze its behavior and you will be that much better off by knowing what mistakes the others are bound to make and how to profit from them.

#11     Dec 13, 2002
  2. I didn't say the contrary :). To understand what I mean this is an article I found:

http://www.lambertganneducators.com/articles/ArticleA.php

"Tom Hopkins, a world-famous sales trainer, believes that there are four stages in the development of a sales person (which originated from the work of Maslow). These are:

Unconscious Incompetence;
    Conscious Incompetence;
    Conscious Competence; and
    Unconscious Competence.
    Having assisted in the development of literally thousands of traders, I believe that Hopkins' four stages are every bit as applicable to the development of a market master as they are to the development of his 'champion' sales people. "

3. Conscious Competence

Conscious competents know what to do, as long as they think. They trade strictly according to the rules of their system, and their profitability would normally closely mirror the profitability of their proven system. Most successful traders follow mechanical systems, and are conscious competents.

4. Unconscious Competence

Unconscious competents are highly trained and highly skilled traders. In trading terms they no longer need to follow, consciously, a mechanical trading system, but patiently wait for a setup, then automatically take the trade. No setup; no trade.

Some of the most successful traders, or market masters, are unconscious competents. They appear to trade using their so-called 'intuition', but are, in fact, applying their vast knowledge and skill to recognize low-risk, high-profit-potential, trades.
    "

As for myself I am at stage 3 and I don't think I will be able to reach level 4: I have never been an intuitive person. Without my model I'm lost :).

#12     Dec 14, 2002
  3. Yeah, I know, I was just reinforcing your point. :)

#13     Dec 14, 2002
  4. this is from the link provided earlier... :D

This 'numbers game' approach also benefits the champion salesperson and the market master psychologically. Just as too many 'knock backs' can result in a champion salesperson feeling depressed and rejected, so can a string of losses result in a market master feeling much the same way. By looking at selling and trading as numbers games, champion salespeople and market masters know that a certain percentage of knock backs and losses, respectively, are realities of the professions they have chosen. They know that a key to success in their endeavor is not to take the knock back or loss personally, but instead to look at it as the price of doing business. Accept it, and move on to the next sale or trade.

I think this is good.. :D
    Andy

#14     Dec 15, 2002
  5. qdz

qdz

Thanks so much for your comments, guys.
    I feel this is a real good place to have some sort of meditation. I wish all you well and do what you say here.

:p

#15     Dec 15, 2002
  6. Thanks for the thread:D

#16     Dec 15, 2002
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

An interesting point is that lately people perceive "machinery" is more perfect than a human brain.
    Emotion is to be avoided in order to be profitable.
    A computer is to be emulated.
    But what about the "imperfect" mind that designed it?
    There lies the flaw in the theory.
    A machine is only as perfect as it's designer.

#17     Dec 15, 2002
  8. GD2KNO

GD2KNO

In reply to this choice set forth by QDZ, I'd like to say that I bwelieve the idea is NOT to surrender your humanity.

The idea is not to allow your feeling, emotions, human frailtries so to speak, to play a roll in your trading.

It comes back to the same formula every time:

Find or develop a proven mechanical system, then follow it without except.

#18     Dec 15, 2002
  9. GD2KNO

GD2KNO

In reference to bobcathy1 comments:

Possibly humankinds endeavor to overcome imperfection and frailty is to invent things like mechanical trading systems

I'm not sure it is progress - but it gave us the wheel, flight, telecommunications, computers, life extension with good health, etc., and mechanical, profitable trading

#19     Dec 15, 2002
  10. the whole robot trader mystique is overplayed. If you want to be a robot just buy a computerized trading system and go play golf while it trades for you. Humans are not robots no matter what they do. The greatest traders are not really robots either, they have excellent and hard to quantify "instincts". Having said that, the average computerized trading system is probably better than the average newbie trader going with their gut.

#20     Dec 16, 2002