Huge UNFAIR increase of prices for data of NYSE stocks

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by ChrisMMM, Jul 18, 2008.

1. hughb

hughb

CRAP!!! I was destroyed by an API before I even knew what it was! This technology stuff moves too fast for us old timers...

#11     Jul 20, 2008
  2. hughb

hughb

OK, I googled API to figure out what it was but I got bored and quit. I'll panic later.

#12     Jul 20, 2008
  3. etbri

etbri

Can anyone recommend a broker who can supply the NYSE OpenBook data feed for something more reasonable than $5k/month?

No replies about how useless the data is please.

#13     Jul 21, 2008
  4. If you go to www.nyxdata.com/openbook you will see that it is the NYSE charging the $5000. Every broker has to pass on the NYSE fee.

#14     Jul 21, 2008
  5. etbri

etbri

But up until recently Genesis wasn't. It also didn't cost close to $2k/month for last sale and inside quote data.

I'm sure there are brokers out there that don't charge these fees (yet?).

#15     Jul 21, 2008
  6. The $5k fee is what the Data Vendor pays to get the data from the NYSE. The $60 fee is what customers like myself pay to the NYSE for the data. Data Vendors pay around $1,000 a month to NYSE for Level 1 data. I am not sure how much the regular Openbook costs vendors, you can look it up. But I would guess that $5k is a large increase in price so a number of Data Vendors may not give access to the Ultra OpenBook because it is too expensive and will only offer the regular OpenBook as they currently do.

#16     Jul 21, 2008
  7. etbri

etbri

As a customer, what broker do you use to get openbook for $60 via an API?

#17     Jul 21, 2008
  8. Euler

Euler

Are you talking about getting OpenBook on a single stock at one time, or the entire OpenBook feed for every stock at once, or something in between (e.g. a limit of 200 symbols)?

$5k/month wouldn't be bad for the entire feed (but how would you receive it without a high-bandwidth fibre service or colo, which I think Genesis can provide, as well?).

On the other hand, $5k would seem steep to me for a single stock at a time; there must be cheaper alternatives for this, e.g. RealTick Pro.

#18     Jul 22, 2008
  9. etbri

etbri

I'm just looking to get OpenBook via an uncrippled feed for 1 or a small set of symbols at this point.

#19     Jul 22, 2008
  10. Euler

Euler

#20     Jul 22, 2008