Huffington Scams Clooney

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pabst, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Actor Didn't Actually Write Blog

NBC: Chicago

Actor George Clooney is standing by scathing comments aimed at Democrats made in a blog on Arianna Huffington's Huffington Post blog site this week, except that he noted that there's one problem: He wasn't the actual person who wrote it.

"Miss Huffington's blog is purposefully misleading and I have asked her to clarify the facts. I stand by my statements but I did not write this blog," said Clooney in a statement issued to the Los Angeles Times Wednesday.

Clooney added in the Times that he gave Huffington permission to use his statements in the blog, compiled from answers the actor gave to "Larry King Live" and the UK newspaper The Guardian.

"What she most certainly did not get my permission to do is to combine only my answers in a blog that misleads the reader into thinking that I wrote this piece," Clooney said in the statement to the Times. "These are not my writings -- they are answers to questions and there is a huge difference."

In the purported blog entry entitled "I Am a Liberal. There I Said It!" posted Monday (but is no longer on the Huffington site), Clooney purportedly tossed an F-bomb at Democrats who "caved in" during the run up to the Iraq war.

"In 2003, a lot of us were saying, where is the link between Saddam and bin Laden? What does Iraq have to do with 9/11? We knew it was bullsh--," Clooney purportedly wrote. "Which is why it drives me crazy to hear all these Democrats saying, 'We were misled.' It makes me want to shout, 'F--- you, you weren't misled. You were afraid of being called unpatriotic.'"

In a post Wednesday, Huffington explained that she approached Clooney after a screening of his Edward R. Murrow biopic "Good Night, and Good Luck," to do a blog for her site, but claimed the actor "wasn't sure how a blog worked."

So, Huffington explained, "We put together a sample blog from answers he had given on Larry King Live and an interview with the Guardian in London, and sent it to him to rework in any way he wanted."

Huffington blames the blunder on a publicist who worked on the film, who said they would get the sample blog to Clooney. Huffington said that three days later, the publicist e-mailed her back, "approving, without any changes, what we had sent."

"This was an honest misunderstanding. But any misunderstanding that occurred, occurred between Clooney and the publicist," Huffington wrote. "We based our decision to post on the unambiguous approval we received in writing. There was no room for misunderstanding in that."

However, Clooney's publicist, Stan Rosenfield, told the Times that when he saw the blog Monday, he called and asked Huffington to make a change to the blog "to simply attribute the quotes and make it clear that he did not write a blog. But she refused."

As a result, Clooney decided to issue his statement Wednesday.

2. Ricter

Ricter

Well, once you get beyond all the "he said she said" crap of this scenario, you have a coupla more people who think the war is bulllshit. Thanks for bringing these two to light.