HSI broker wanted

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by joesan, Jul 19, 2005.

1. This might be a dump question, since I only use local brokerage and datafeed for the sake of accountability if shit happens..

How do IB work? Brokerage? with charting platform data feed?
    any server to ping? (I know this is lame, but damn, I trade with marketorders most of the time.. )

#31     Feb 25, 2007
  2. def

def Sponsor

IB has a direct API connection to the exchange. The connection routes orders and also receives data directly from the exchange. Clients can choose to use IB's charting platform or any number of other 3rd party charting services/front ends such as quotetracker, button trader, etc. IB can't control the ping time from a clients ISP to our office but once an order hits our office the order is routed to the exchange as fast as 15 milliseconds.

#32     Feb 25, 2007
  3. IB is both quick and very reliable. I think I've seen two outages in the last two years and one of them was a deliberate shut down for a typhoon. Sierra Chart is a good charting platform to use with IB and I like zeroline trader for order entry and management ... button trader has more capability but is substantially more expensive.

I still don't think volume will switch until tuesday morning (I rarely see it switch before the morning of the last trading day).

Currently feb was at 843 for the last half hour vs 253 on march. But Monday will tell the story.

#33     Feb 25, 2007
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Kiwi,

Is this type of weather shut downs announced ahead of time? If yes, where is it announced?

Thanks,
    redduke

#34     Feb 25, 2007
  5. Is IB still relatively fast when you are connecting from Western Canada? I heard that it takes snapshots of data and the data is a bit delayed...

#35     Feb 25, 2007
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Credit where due. IB 'gets it' regarding investing in infrastructure for execution speed. I was trading HSI with 2-300ms of ISP latency and was only at a slight disadvantage due to IB execution speed making up for ISP latency. My guess is that the local brokers underinvest in capacity and their clients lose out while inadequate server capacity checks their margin availablity (this, rather than internet infrastucture is the usual cause of observable execution latency).

Also I found the 'snapshot' data approach to be much better than tick by tick with e.g. eSignal being about a minute behind in a fast market ( a long time in HSI). Bloomberg have a server located in HK so a large swathe of the professional market are getting prices with negligible lag. if you have data feed latency you are seeing prices that are longer current.

#36     Feb 25, 2007
  7. Yes, it was. I seem to remember that it came through as a TWS bulletin with plenty of time to spare.

#37     Feb 25, 2007
  8. def

def Sponsor

when a typhoon is approaching, the news services will report it. we endeavor to do our best to send out a bulletin. The hk observatory web site will also provide the information.

#38     Feb 25, 2007
  9. joesan

joesan

Def, will appreciate it if IB could send an alert if the trading schedule is changed in typhoon season, currently have to check HK observatory site from time to time then

#39     Feb 25, 2007
  10. Def,

E Trade is marketing in HK, not sure they have an office in HK or not. Gonna start breaking into HK any time soon?

#40     Feb 25, 2007